A Heavy Vehicle Service Technician will inspect, maintain, and repair large vehicles weighing 3.5 tonnes and over.
The Heavy Vehicle Technicians jobs fall into three main categories:
- Servicing - carrying out checks
- Maintenance - replacing/repairing engine parts
- Diagnostics - using the latest diagnostic equipment
As an apprentice, you will observe, learn and gain an understanding of a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff.
You will be able to:
- Demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team
- Learn and understand the importance of Health and safety within the workplace
- Learn the fundamental technologies - Heavy Vehicle chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, hydraulic and air braking, etc.
- Develop the skills to construct or modify apparatus and instruments from verbal instructions and drawings
- Learn how to maintain workshop equipment and to keep it in good repair
A certain amount of administration is also required to maintain the vehicles repair and service records as well as MAN Truck & Bus' records.
MAN believe in providing an extensive, high quality Apprenticeship which gives their Apprentices the opportunity to advance, succeed and fulfil their ambitions for a career in the motor industry.
Closing Dates: Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment; we reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the published closing date if we receive a sufficient number of applications Travel: Please check you are able to travel to MAN's Scunthorpe branch easily each day.
You will need to be comfortable with a wide range of vehicles such as trucks, buses, agricultural machinery and plant equipment. Being a Heavy Vehicle technician requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina.
Commitment and enthusiasm are a must and a passion for motor vehicles and physical work would be an advantage.
- If you have achieved a level 2 or higher in heavy vehicle maintenance, you may not be eligible for the apprenticeship
- Minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) grades of 9*-4/A-C in English and maths
This is a MAN Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Manufacturer Apprenticeship programme, delivered by Remit Group.
Awarding Body: Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI)
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at Remit's MAN dedicated Academy in Derby. This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Monday - Friday) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks either in the workplace or remotely via Microsoft Teams, giving 1-2-1 advice and guidance to help you achieve the following IMI qualifications:
- Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English & maths (if required)