The training given during your apprenticeship covers the study of state-of-the-art automotive production technology, as well as the latest innovations in manufacturing techniques which are constantly developing in line with new emerging technologies, including: Electrical Control, PLC systems & Robots automation, Integrated Process Planning, IT & Data base system, Quality Control and Production Validation.
Apprenticeship Programme and Career Development:
The BMW Group offers an enhanced level 6 degree apprenticeship commencing early September 2021. The four-year programme is designed to enable you to experience different aspects of engineering and production technology including: robotics, controls systems, machining, fluid power, electronics, systems control and many more. This training takes place at Plant Hams Hall and a local college.
The first year of the program is purely in a learning environment where in addition to starting the academic requirements of your program in engineering mechatronic-based BTEC NC, you will undertake a practical-based engineering program which covers core engineering skills such as milling and turning, hand skills, electrical and electronic circuits and control and fluid power, PLC’s etc.
Following this, you will undertake competency-based training while working on site and start your degree program with the foundation degree in year one and finishing a full degree by the end of the apprenticeship.
Control technicians will complete a broad spectrum of placements throughout the business in the UK.
Placements cover many aspects of the business such as:
- Complete manufacturing analysis
- Supplier liaison / problem solving
- Siemens PLC with automation
- Robotic facilities
- Manufacturing process and facility planning (both electrical and mechanical)
- Software integration
- Metrology - computer aided measurement and analysis of manufacturing facilities
- Supply and vehicle build planning (logistics)
- Launch planning / control manufacturing system interfaces
The placements give you the chance to experience the business as a whole whilst carrying out business relevant projects alongside your study. You will have the opportunity to take advantage of the benefits of working for a world-class global automotive manufacturer, networking with people of different nationalities and to put theory directly into practice.
As well as developing your specialist technical knowledge, you will be expected to successfully complete an honours degree in engineering which is fully funded by the company.
You will then be gaining further practical experience, by joining the control engineering or control planning team as your permanent role. These teams are responsible for ensuring that the technology within our business is state-of-the-art and maintains its optimal efficiencies.
- Your career with BMW Group will be designed to meet your individual aspirations and the business needs of an internationally recognised company. You start on a business awareness programme followed by career objective training in the relevant departments
- Personal development within the BMW Group never stops! This begins with vocational courses and continues with selective training throughout your career. A BMW Apprenticeship offers multiple career choices and enables you to make the most of your abilities
- As part of your application you will need to upload a copy of your most recent school report* and a CV. If you don’t have a school report then please upload a CV and an employer reference. If you don’t have an employer reference, then please upload a CV and a personal statement
- A competitive salary enhanced annually depending on individual progress and performance starting at circa £14,333 per annum rising to over £27,000 at the end of the programme
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Personal and professional integrity
- Able to adapt to different situations
- Highly motivated
- Ability to develop strong working relationships
- Willingness to learn and work hard
- Remain calm under pressure
- A minimum of 5 GCSE’s at level 6/B (or above) including maths and English
- A minimum of 2 A Levels (or equivalent) at grade C/4 (or above) or a BTEC level 3 (60 credits plus) or equivalent in a relevant Engineering or Technology discipline
If you are currently studying you must upload a school/college report. Please note that you cansubmit teacher assessments, predicted grades or other supporting evidence as proof of qualifications.
When it comes to selecting the right apprentices, it’s as much about attitude and behaviours as it is about vocational and academic success. That’s why in addition to the qualifications we require from you, we’ll also look for you to have a range of skills, attributes and behaviours. These include: team working, as well as the ability to work without close supervision, quality focus, good communication skills, showing enthusiasm and initiative, and responsibility and accountability for your work.
- Foundation Practical Engineering (Year 1)
- Foundation Degree in Manufacturing Engineering – Year 2
- Foundation Degree in Manufacturing Engineering – Year 3
- Top up to Manufacturing Engineering Degree (BEng) – Year 4 (BCU)