What is the purpose of the role?
Apprentices will be part of the Operational Technology team that help Thames Water achieve its Asset Management Planning (AMP7) ambitions to 2025 and beyond. Apprentices will learn on the job and with targeted training courses with direction and support from senior engineering personnel.
What makes this role unique?
This is a great opportunity for anybody with a passion for engineering, looking to start a career in the Water Industry. It’s a chance to work towards a Higher National Certificate while gaining practical experience in an engineering and technology environment, learning while you work. You’ll get hands on experience, supported by likeminded engineers and study at Basingstoke college of technology gaining the theoretical background to your Higher National Certificate .
Continuously striving for excellence, we are giving you the chance to join a leading water organisation who supply an essential service to our 9 million drinking water customers and 15 million wastewater customers. This essential service continues to be, challenged by population growth, climate change and new legislation. We want to grow and develop our apprentices into our next generation of leaders, giving you a clear career path and commitment to your profession as an engineer.
As a level 4 apprentice you will undertake a development programme and will be expected to work across different placement rotations within the Thames Water Operational Technology team. These placements include the following: Water Service, Waste Service, Regional Systems Service, Applications / Products, and Infrastructure / Domain. This approach will equip you with a broad range of skills and experiences needed for a successful career as an automation and control technician with an operational technology domain.
Duties will include:
- Ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and others around them
- Working across multiple technologies including.
- Instruments, networks, Fieldbus (Profibus, Ethernet IP etc.)
- PLC’s, network switches
- RTU’s, telecoms
- SCADA, site, Regional, HMI’s
- Infrastructure (back office), architecture
- Security, physical (ESS), cyber (remote access), NISD
- Data transfer, links – external, internal, corporate
This team has apprenticeship opportunities available with a base location in Reading, Berks; however, we would be open to discussions if you live anywhere within the Thames Water catchment. As part of your duties, we would also recommend you visit a variety of sites to gain experience of multiple processes where possible.
- Thames Water encourages on-going training and development of its employees
- These roles are based at our head office in Reading, Berkshire. The starting salary will be £18,000 with studies funded by Thames Water
- You’ll also receive 24 days holiday, pension and other benefits. Travel costs are covered for travel to and from your place of study in line with our internal business expense policy
- A driving licence is required for these roles
- Prior educational achievement in a technology or engineering related subject
- While qualifications are important, it’s also essential you have a passion for engineering and the drive and motivation to manage your learning and working life
- You’ll need to be incredibly well organised, have excellent time management skills and the determination to succeed
- You’ll have great team working skills but also be able to work independently, putting customers at the heart of everything you do
- You’ll be a champion for Health & Safety within the workplace for both you and your colleagues, helping us maintain our great reputation
- Entry requirements for this Level 4 qualification are 5 GCSE’s grade C (4) or above in English, maths, Science, technology or an engineering or related subject and 3 A Levels, Grade C or above (or predicted grades) to include maths, Science, technology or an engineering related subject
Please note that if you already have an Engineering degree you will not be eligible for this apprenticeship.
Automation and Controls Engineering Technician Higher Apprenticeship Standard:
- This is a great opportunity for anybody with a passion for engineering, looking to start a career in the Water Industry. It’s a chance to work towards a Higher National Certificate while gaining practical experience in an engineering and technology environment, learning while you work
- You’ll get hands on experience, supported by likeminded engineers
- Your Apprenticeship will be managed by WBTC with weekly day release to study at Basingstoke College of Technology to gain the theoretical background to your Higher National Certificate