What will the apprentice be doing?
- A typical day on site starts with a shift handover and briefing to bring you up to speed with your priorities for the day
- You then work across various areas of the factory monitoring plant equipment, reviewing laboratory data and making adjustments to the process of making sugar as required
- With the support of your manager, you will need to use your technical knowledge gained at college to make decisions, solve problems and carry out routine inspections and maintenance tasks
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- You will gain a Level 3 City & Guilds qualification in Process Technology from studying with our training provider, as well as various British Sugar internal and industry related courses to help you in your development
- We will develop your communications skills, problem solving and team working skills throughout the scheme using coaches and mentoring sessions, as well as through an Outward Bound programme in the Lake District
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- On successful completion of the scheme you have the opportunity to become a qualified shift Technician where you will work both individually and as part of a manufacturing team
- The factory operations are large scale fast moving process plants where every day is different, they operate 24/7 and are controlled by the very latest sophisticated control systems
- You will become an integral part of a team monitoring and operating the plant, processing the sugar beet crop to produce products such as sugar, animal feeds, bio gas, and bioethanol
Reality CheckCandidates must be able to travel to the workplace according to working hours, which will involve following a shift pattern, working at night, weekends and over public holidays. The roles are based at our Bury St Edmunds Factory site.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Time Management, Impact of Work, Passion for learning, Tenacity
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent a Science (Grade Level 5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade Level 5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade Level 5 or C+ (or higher)) Essential