Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To support teachers and students during practical work, to include setting up demonstrations and equipment, providing guidance to pupils in the development of their tasks, including the safe operation and demonstration of equipment
- To assist with overseeing the work of small groups of students engaged in practical tasks, as requested by the head of department and under the supervision of the classroom teacher
- Day to day support of lessons including preparing equipment, materials and teaching aids and tidying and cleaning after use if required owing to COVID situation
- To support with efficient organisation of the work and storage areas and to ensure the cleanliness, safety and security of these areas at all times
- To assist with the delivery of extra curriculum/lunchtime activities programme.
- Where appropriate for the above activities support staff with:
- preparation of equipment, materials and rooms: setting out of equipment, organising team kits and transport for fixtures and curriculum activities.
Potential job roles that can emerge from the qualifications gained:
- Progression onto Level 4 Sports Coach
- Teaching Assistant
- Pathways to University
- The successful candidate will need to have a strong knowledge base and skills relevant to sport within a school setting
- It will also be an essential requirement for the appointed person to have good ICT and administration skills, alongside that of being organised
- It would also be advantageous to have an awareness of current PE developments in education
A range of skills are sought in the successful candidate, inclusive of:
- A strong interest in PE and school sport
- Enjoys working with children/young people.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Able to meet the physically demanding needs of the role
- Displays an awareness, understanding and commitment to the protection and safeguarding of children and young people
It would be advantageous for the successful candidate to have prior experience of working with young people in a sporting context.
- GCSE at grade 4/C or above or equivalent in English and maths, however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications may be considered, though must be prepared to work towards their level 1 functional skills qualifications
- Enhanced DBS clearance
- It would also be desirable for applicants to possess a Basic First Aid Certificate
- To maintain the confidentiality of information acquired in the course of undertaking duties for the department
- The post holder is responsible for his/her own self-development on a continuous basis
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required
Level 3 Teaching Assistant:
- Supporting the Delivery of PE and School Sport
- Level 2 Functional Skills (where appropriate)