What will the apprentice be doing?
Reporting to the Apprenticeship Lead and being part of the council’s HR & Organisational Development function, the successful applicant will be a highly motivated self-starter who is passionate about establishing their career in HR and Learning & Development. You will be driven and willing to undertake relevant learning and development programmes to enhance your future development and will be supported to undertake a Level 3 HR/L&D Apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship will be offered on a fixed term 18-month contract and working 35 hours per week. This apprenticeship is a hybrid working role with a minimum of 3 days spent working in the Merton Civic Centre office and remaining 2 days spent working from home.
You will need good verbal and written communication skills, able to work individually but also as part of a team and be well organised. You will need to have good IT skills.
With a positive attitude, you will be solution focused and able to use your own initiative to resolve problems, consistently working to a high professional standard.
As an enthusiastic and flexible member of staff, you will be able and willing to take on a variety of new tasks (with direction) and apply yourself to them
This is your opportunity to develop an engaging and rewarding career in HR and Learning & Development.
- HR administration
- Supporting internal training and development
- Training logistics i.e. room bookings
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Full level 3 HR support apprenticeship standard.
- Awareness of local authority or public sector terms and conditions of employment and understanding of best practice
- Awareness, understanding and health and safety and diversity and equal opportunities in employment and service provisions
- Understanding of & commitment to own responsibility to comply with the Council’s health and safety policy and arrangements
- Planning & Delivery
- Organise and prioritise own workload to achieve expected outcomes
- Work in, and effectively contribute to an environment of competing demands
- Apply basic numeric /analytical skills in order to assist with the production of statistical returns and monitoring reports
- Accurate IT skills and knowledge of Word, MS packages, PowerPoint and Excel to carry out the duties of the post
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Solution focused and able to use initiative to resolve basic problems
- Communications & Influencing
- Good communication skills with clear spoken English
- Awareness of the importance of customer care, able to deal with personal and telephone callers professionally and courteously
- Present basic written information clearly and concisely, deal with routine correspondence (with direction)
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to all aspects of human resources matters
- Teamwork & Personal Impact
- Able and willing to take on a variety of tasks (with direction) and apply themselves to them
- Able to work flexibly within a team, asking for and giving support as needed
- Able to understand the importance of being punctual and the impact absence has on the effectiveness of the team
- High professional standards
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Possible full-time job on completion of apprenticeship.
Reality CheckThis is an ideal role for someone looking for their first role in HR. There are great career progression opportunities for the right candidate.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Organisation skills, Administrative skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Essential