What will the apprentice be doing?
- The apprentice will receive on-the-job training and gain experience within a range of Food Service environments, including our College Dining Room, Gardens Restaurant, West Dean Stores tearoom, Stewards Bar as well as corporate meetings, banquets and
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- To work in all areas of the Food & Outlet Services Department serving customers at meal and refreshment times as instructed by the Food & Outlet Services Manager. Areas to include all
hot and cold counters, drinks counters, student bar, salad and sandwich counters and remote or occasional service points.
- To oversee and delegate work as required to Food Services Assistants so work is carried out in a timely manner to ensure excellent customer satisfaction.
- Maintain a good working environment, directing activities related to the service of food and beverage, ensuring the quality meets all standards.
- Lead by example in customer service excellence, ensuring high standards of customer service are maintained at all times.
- To prepare and set up for service as required, ensuring cutlery, condiments and consumables are in place to accompany all meals
- All beverages to be ready for times of service and ensure adequate refreshments are available throughout each service
- Replenishment of all items at each beverage station ensuring sufficient stocks of cups, tea bags, sugar, milk, etc.
- Ensure all dishes offered are to the correct standards, temperature and are served professionally and in the correct portion size, ensuring familiarisation of the ingredients of the menu choices.
- Assessing customer needs and preferences and making recommendations.
- Carry out clearing of tables, disposal of rubbish and cleaning of floors.
- Undertake all cleaning duties relating to the service within the dining room and refectory areas are undertaken in line with food hygiene regulations.
- To assist with stocktaking procedures as and when required.
- To fill and rotate all foods in remote storage areas.
- Make sure that all working practices comply with the food safety and Health & Safety policies at all times.
A sensible work life balance with straight shifts and excellent working conditions;
Paid breaks and free meals on duty;
Free on-site parking;
Access to on-site counsellor and Employee Assistance Programme (access to counselling, legal advice, mental health & wellbeing programmes);
Individual training and opportunities for development;
Contributory pension scheme (we’ll match you up to 7.5%);
Free and discounted places on short courses for employees, friends and family;
Free entry into West Dean Gardens; and
Discounts on food & beverage and accommodation for employees, friends and family.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Hospitality Supervisor Level 3 apprenticeship.
All training will be carried out on site by HIT Training
There is the possibility of studying towards Maths and English qualifications if you have not already achieved them. This is dependent on personal circumstances.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Ideally, we are looking for an apprentice who will grow and progress within the business to become a permanent team member.
Reality CheckGeneral Terms & Conditions Contract: Fixed Term for the duration of the Apprenticeship (expected to take 12 months) 5 days per week (including on the job training) Holidays: 33 days (FTE) per holiday year (1 October to 30 September) inclusive of Bank Holidays (pro rata for part time employees) Sickness: 10 days company sick pay (full time equivalent) in any consecutive twelve-month period after six months’ continuous service. Shifts: Shifts are dependent on location of work and include: College Dining Room: 07:00-14:00 / 14:00-21:00 Gardens Restaurant: 09:00-16:00 / 10:30-17:30 West Dean Stores: 07:30-14:30 Bar: 16:00-23:00
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Organisation skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A-C (4-9)) Desired
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade A-C (4-9)) Desired