An exciting opportunity has arisen for a horse care apprentice to join the team at Common Leys Farm campus working with the equine yard staff. You should have experience of working with horses and be confident around a range of different types.
The college equine yard includes a variety of riding horses, youngstock and broodmares. You will get the opportunity to learn and develop new skills on the job and complete either a level 2 or level 3 apprenticeship with Haddon Training. The level of apprenticeship will be determined by your previous qualifications and equine experience.
You should enjoy working with other young people and as part of a team.
You must have the ability to achieve functional skills in English and maths at level 1 or 2 and preferably have good previous experience with horses.
This is a full-time post with a working pattern that includes weekends and bank holidays on a rota.
The equine centre is based at Common leys Farm campus 3 miles outside Witney.
Duties may include:
- Cleaning the lorry living area and horse area
- Keeping grooming kit clean and organised
- Organising rugs; checking they are correctly fitted and are clean and mended
Opportunity for further qualifications and to progress onto L3.
- Can demonstrate confidence around a range of different types of horses including young stock
- Previous Horse Care Experience
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Good organisational skills and the ability to work methodically
- An ability to pay close attention to detail to ensure horse welfare requirements are met
- The willingness and ability to successfully undertake an Apprenticeship in a horse care environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a range of people – students, staff, parents, employers
- Can demonstrate positive approach to learning and change
- The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- A flexible attitude towards working hours
- An ability to work quickly and safely, following agreed procedures
- The ability to work in a team environment
Must be able to work towards Level 1 or higher in Functional Skills maths and English, or C/4 or above at GCSE's or equivalent.
- Full apprenticeship training supported by Haddon Training
- Equine Groom Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard