What will the apprentice be doing?
To provide outstanding patient care at all times, via an efficient and effective reception/admin service, both face to face and via email & telephone, which includes:
- Booking appointments for patients, face to face/by telephone or via email, handling requests for home visits and taking messages, ensuring callers are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- Dealing appropriately with emergency calls i.e.chest pain, following surgery protocols.
- Recognise patients’ needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
- To maintain patient and practice confidentiality at all times
Monitoring the waiting room and guiding patients to rooms, keeping the reception area, notice-boards, and leaflet dispensers tidy/free from obstructions and clutter.
- Processing and distributing incoming/outgoing mail.
- Processing repeat prescriptions in accordance with surgery guidelines.
- Register new regular and temporary patients/updating the Organ/Blood donor register.
- Dealing with requests for test results; being aware of the rules of confidentiality.
- Receive patient samples ensuring labelled correctly.
- Utilise scanning equipment and software to scan all incoming clinical letters/relevant documentation in order of urgency and date received.
- Providing clerical assistance to surgery staff as required including word/data processing, filing, photocopying, using fax machine
Use clinical system to identify patients/send appointment invitations/reminders/DNA (did not attend letters).
- Taking payment and recording receipt of non NHS services as appropriate.
- Stocking of documentation to clinical rooms/reception and admin areas – re-ordering stock as required.
- Provision of refreshments for staff and visitors as required/requested; washing, drying up, keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy to enable cleaners can access, replenishing refreshments on regular basis from stock provided.
- Completing significant event reports as appropriate.
- Reporting of IT/operation faults to facilities team.
- Dealing with patient feedback in a timely fashion in line with complaints policy to minimise formal complaints.
- Staff may be asked to undertake Chaperone duties during clinical examinations – training will be provided.
- To work in accordance with Parsonage Surgery written protocols.
- Constant promotion of the surgery and its team to ensure positive and calm image.
- Attend team meetings/complete mandatory training as requested.
- Any other duties that may be deemed necessary by the management team.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Full training will be given by the employer and KEITS towards the Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner and any functional skills required.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Having gained a years’ worth of work experience and a level 2 qualification, you would be able to work as a Receptionist/Administrator in the Primary Care sector or in another similar setting/role, having gained vital knowledge, training and confidence.
- For the right candidate, this could lead to a permanent position once the apprenticeship has been completed dependant on business needs.
Reality CheckImportant Other Information Training on the Apprenticeships Programme for 16 to 18 year olds is a priority and fully-funded by Government. Training for Apprenticeships for those over this age is part funded, with employers expected to make a part or full contribution. KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise. A GP Practice can be a very busy and stressful place to work, but it is also a rewarding and supportive environment to work in. You need to be able to remain calm and behave in a professional manner at all times.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Team working, Patience, Excellent Telephone manner, Reliable, Flexible, Confident, Conscientious, Hard Working, Good time management, Motivated
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade C or 4) Desired
GCSE or equivalent I.T (Grade C or 4) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C or 4) Desired