The role requires 30 hours work a week, generally over a five-day period, including some split shift work, flexible rotas and occasional additional hours.
Under the full instruction of the Head Chef you will be learning the basics of cooking
Such as peeling, cutting and preparing vegetables
before moving on to preparing and plating more complex dishes with a view to greater independence and responsibility within the kitchen.
Work also includes:
- Cooking and supporting the kitchen on weekend evenings and occasional weekday/week evenings for the family and guests.
- Supporting and cooking with the head chef
- Supporting and cooking with hired chefs
- Assisting head chef with management of kitchen including stock control, stock list, food ordering and menu planning also in collaboration with employer
- Liaising with walled garden and picking/cooking/freezing fresh produce
- Assisting with cooking in advance using garden produce (jams/chutneys/tarts etc)
- Assisting keeping freezer and fridge systems organised so food is not wasted/forgotten
- Assisting waiting staff if necessary
- Assisting with food shopping
- Assisting keeping staff/working areas tidy and safe and observing all health and safety regulations
The role is based in a private house and not a commercial kitchen.
There may be the possibility of a potential full time role at the end of the apprenticeship.
Basic kitchen skills
- Good communication
- Attention to detail
- Good timekeeping
- Team player
- Willingness to learn on the job
- Good with people
- A passion for food.
Training ProvidedCommis Chef Level 2, Maths & English Functional Skills Level 1