What will the apprentice be doing?
Working under the guidance and instruction of a mentor the site work could involve;
- Setting out a building.
- Constructing brick and block work.
- Constructing walling detail.
- Keeping the site clean and tidy.
- Helping to unload materials and store in a tidy manner in the site store.
This is dependent on required works at each site.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The apprentice will be working towards the Bricklayer Level 2 apprenticeship standard.
- All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- As a company known for combining traditional methods and skills with new techniques, it is important we ensure those traditional methods and skills continue to be passed down through the generations of our workforce. Our apprentices are an important part of ensuring Bakers of Danbury exist for another 140 years, at least!
- Over time successful apprentices could work towards a position of Site Supervisor who oversee all trades working on site and liaise with both the Clients and Architects, or even Contract Manager where you will be responsible for pricing tender submissions and overseeing material purchasing and managing the site.
Reality CheckTravelling to/from our yard is a requirement and we try to arrange lifts with other van drivers for any non-drivers. You will be required to arrive at our yard in time to get a lift with others, sometimes this would be at 7am ready for work on site at 7:30am.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent maths and English (Grade 9-2/A*-E) Essential