What will the apprentice be doing?
Working as part of a team, it is the responsibility of the leisure team member to undertake a range of operational and swim teacher duties such as:
- Assisting with opening and closing of the facility
- Setting up and tidying away equipment for swimming classes
- Assisting treachers with swimming lessons for variety of ages
- Watching classes from poolside to ensure children are safe at all times
- Undertaking routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment and environment
- Provide excellent customer service at all times
- Answer customers concerns
- Helping serve in the swim shop and re stoke the shop
- Booking clients in and taking payments
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Leisure Team Member intermediate standard.
Alongside your operational duties, there are five key areas of work leisure team members will cover, for which training is provided as part of your apprenticeship:
Leisure & fitness operations
Swimming teaching duties
Leading group activities
Level 2 award in Pool Lifeguarding
Level 2 in Swimming Teaching
Level 2 in Fitness or Gym Instruction
Level 3 certificate in First Aid
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Subject to the successful completion of your apprenticeship, there will be ample opportunities for you to continue to work in your chosen field of leisure, whether that be as a swimming instructor, train as a duty manager or senior manager of a leisure facility or develop your skills in the fitness area by completing a level 3 fitness qualification, which includes personal training.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Team working, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness, Strong timekeeping
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Desired