What will the apprentice be doing?
Day to day point of contact: Helen Butler, Lab Manager The lab has a small team of 7 Technicians providing services for a number of companies in the poultry industry; both for meat and egg production. Much of the testing is accredited to ISO 17025 standards and has to follow set procedures. As an apprentice you would be providing support to this work in the following ways:
- Media preparation, various agar plates and culture mediums
- In-house equipment calibrations
- Pouring off blood samples that arrive in the post
- Preparation of faecal samples for parasitology analysis
- Lab cleaning and waste disposal
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The learner will be studying the Laboratory Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard qualification
- Day release to West Suffolk College
- Functional skills will be studied if equivalent qualifications are not held
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- On completion of the Apprenticeship, based on performance, a Laboratory Assistant or Laboratory Technician position may be offered
Reality CheckNo local transport or nearby shops.
Skills RequiredIT skills, Attention to detail
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4-9) Essential
AS Level or equivalent Science (Grade C+) Essential