Permabond is a manufacturer of engineering adhesives. It is a private, family-owned organisation with factories and laboratories in the UK and in Italy and offices here, China and the US.
We produce quality products which are sold into a wide variety of markets - e.g., aerospace, automotive, electronics, medical. The role would be suited to somebody that is interested in science, particularly engineering or maybe chemistry.
During the normal daily work, the apprentice will be working in the technical services team alongside a mentor combining several functions as part of their training, which will include:
- Responding to incoming technical enquiries on the phone and internet
- Advising and recommending adhesives to customers, distributors, and our customers
- Lab work includes testing adhesives properties - bonding customer projects, testing strength, surface preparation techniques, environmental / durability testing
- Generating test data for adhesives, writing technical reports
- Assisting with quality control testing and complaint investigations
- Assisting with training sessions with other staff and customers
- Potential joint visits to customers with salespeople
- Opportunity to attend and man trade exhibitions
Support will be provided by your mentor and the rest of the team to ensure that your progress as an apprentice is as smooth as possible. A friendly, supportive atmosphere is always present at Permabond, and will help you to learn and understand how a small company, who gives the highest standards of customer service runs.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 37.5 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Permabond Engineering Adhesives Ltd who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career.
We are keen to take on an apprentice to train and nurture in our organisation and are very keen to promote from within. There are opportunities to develop further in the lab, get involved with new product formulations or if they're more interested in the business side there could be opportunities to move into sales / business development. Potentially they could get involved in the production side of the operation as well. As it is a fairly small company nobody is pigeon-holed and we like staff to get experience across the organisation and see what they enjoy doing.
The tech service role is very interesting due to the diversity of different applications and variety of customer industries, it is an exciting role for an inquisitive person.
- Any allergies to chemicals
- The factory is accessible on foot from Winchester (30-minute walk approx.)
- Commutable from Southampton, Eastleigh, Andover, Basingstoke
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Good communication skills
- Problem solving & initiative
- Hardworking, punctual, and conscientious
- Ability to listen and follow instructions
- Questioning mind and able to use their initiative
- Able to work as part of a team
- Ideally English, maths and science GCSE A-C (9-4) grade or equivalent (however lower grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)