Curtis Analytics is a Laboratory which offers testing services help companies and private clients to reduce the levels of acrylamide in their products. They conduct ground-breaking and vital research into mitigation strategies and testing procedures. Their research projects are funded both publicly (through innovate UK) and privately.
Curtis Analytics are a scientific and creative company who invest in their employees. For example, the last laboratory technician who worked with them has moved onto doing her master’s in international marketing now. She was highly encouraged to continue with her education and given allowances to work on her degree to achieve results.
In this role, you’ll be a key player in assisting the food matrix and quality team, specifically with the analyses of amino acids, sugars, and acrylamide.
As a Laboratory Technician Apprentice, you’ll be training for your Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship. Your role will include:
- Preparing specialist materials, ensuring appropriate quality control methodologies are employed, to conduct analytical tests
- Operating specialist apparatus, equipment, and instruments
- Ensuring accurate completion of documentation such as records, reports and bulletins
- Inputting data and performing simple numerical calculations, using databases and other standard IT packages
- Summarising data/test results and present findings accurately, reviewing and highlighting trends
- Ensuring the safe handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances and familiarise with risk assessments
- Participate in public engagement activities (e.g. open days, schools visits) if required
The post holder will also receive training in and the opportunity to contribute to report writing and scientific publishing (where appropriate).
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Curtis Analytics.
Tiro and Curtis Analytics’ goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team.
Opportunity to stay on with Curtis Analytics permanently after completion
- Good IT skills - Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel.
- Good attention to detail
- Understanding of Chemistry at GCSE level and some level of science will be desirable
- Motivated and committed
- Creative and Innovative
- Open to developing their learning
- Professional Conduct: Demonstrates honesty and respect
- Cooperates with and supports colleagues
- Effective Communication: Listens and communicates clearly to others
- Ideally English, Maths and Science GCSE A-C (9-4) grade or equivalent (however lower grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
- A level Chemistry or Science is desirable
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)