The Pirbright Institute delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect, and respond to viral disease outbreaks.
An exciting opportunity has become available for an enthusiastic individual to work in our Surrey laboratory as a Lab Technician Apprentice. In this apprenticeship role, the Institute will support you to achieve your level 3 qualification as a Laboratory Technician.
You’ll receive one-to-one training from experts in these areas to support all cell culture activities (including training in primary and secondary cell production), prepare media and buffers, calibrate equipment, support activities in glass wash and sterilisation and order stock. Technicians are also responsible for specialist science support functions such as Quality Control of Cell Products and media.
Support will be provided by the CSU manager to ensure that your progress as an apprentice is as smooth as possible. You will become part of a dynamic and vibrant community of staff who will aim to make your time with them rewarding and enjoyable. All we ask is that you demonstrate enthusiasm and excitement about the position and company and are willing to make decisions and think on your feet to problem solve.
Other duties will include:
• Maintaining cell lines using aseptic technique.
• Using microscopy to monitor the growth of cells.
• Accurately recording and reporting data.
• Accurately following methods for cell culture production.
• Maintaining essential laboratory equipment such as incubators, microscopes, water systems and pipettes.
• Trained to complete pipette calibration and maintain calibration records
• Verification of temperature sensors.
• Preparing primary cells from tissue samples.
• Responsible for ensuring enough sterile tools and glassware for completion of daily tasks.
• Maintaining training record to demonstrate competency in cell culture methods.
• Follow good laboratory practice related to Safety, behaviour and hygiene.
Over 24 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 37 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at The Pirbright Institute who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning while you learn.
The apprenticeship is expected to be completed within 18-21 months, however, the appointment with the Pirbright Institute is for 24 months. On completion of the apprenticeship, a successful candidate would have gained the necessary experience to work as a Laboratory Technician in many academic/medical/biopharmaceutical industries. On completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice is welcome to apply for any relevant roles that are available within the Institute.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Team player
- Customer focused
- Attention to detail
- Practical skills
- Time management
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ideally English, Maths and Science GCSE A-C (9-4) grade or equivalent (however lower grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
- Must be 18 + for insurance purposes
- A-Level in Biology or Science related discipline (desirable)
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship standard
- Functional Skills Level 2 maths and English (if required)