Thames Laboratories are specialists in the surveying, identification, and analysis of asbestos-containing materials. With over 30 years of industry experience they have been helping organisations such as schools, hospitals, local authorities, and housing providers identify and manage asbestos.
Asbestos was commonly used throughout the 21st century as a building material. It was banned from use in the UK in 1999 after it was discovered to cause serious health conditions. Despite this, around 5,000 people are thought to die each year from diseases related to asbestos exposure.
In this role, you’ll be a key player in ensuring the safety of those working and living in environments that could be at risk and Thames Laboratories is looking for someone like you to join their growing team in Cambridgeshire.
As a Trainee Laboratory Technician for Thames Laboratories your key responsibilities will include:
- Follow set procedures to accurately identify if asbestos is present within samples
- Accurately input sample information and analysis into our internal system
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness and tidiness within the lab
- Be involved in regular inspections to maintain our UKAS accreditation's
- Check the reports are technically accurate before being sent
- Liaise with site staff to assist in resolving any queries that may be identified when report checking
- Manage own timescales effectively and prioritise
- Calibrate and maintain equipment as required
- Assisting with administration tasks when required
This role, once authorised and skilled to work independently, requires high levels of repetition whilst maintaining outstanding levels of attention to detail.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your 40 hours of working time towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Thames Laboratories, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning a salary while you gain your qualifications.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Thames Laboratories. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- To perform this role, we cannot accept anyone who is colour-blind
- Must be 18 + due to insurance purposes
- Due to the location of the laboratory, access to a vehicle is preferred
- Keen to learn
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- The ability to show an interest in construction, science, or laboratory testing
- Ideally English, maths and Science GCSE A-C grade or equivalent (however all grades will be considered, so don’t be put off)
Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Standard
Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)