The apprenticeship with NNRCO would include active participation and training in general support services for all lab-based projects within the Department of Discovery Biology and Pharmacology.
Examples of task will be part of the training are:
- Maintaining human derived cell line and primary human cells, including expanding, testing and freezing multiple cell lines to support in vitro experimentation
- Preparation of reagents and solution needed for experimentation
- Ordering and monitoring adequate levels of general laboratory consumables
- Performing routine cellular assays, such as measuring glucose in media from cell culture
- General equipment maintenance such as regular cleaning and calibration
NNRCO is a recently established research unit of Novo Nordisk, and is growing on an annual basis thus, on successful completion of the apprenticeship there is a high likelihood that permanent employment can be offered, either at NNRCO or within the global Novo Nordisk organisation. Skills acquired at NNRCO would also be marketable in the expansive biotech ecosystem in the Oxford area, or in other parts of the UK.
We have very limited parking space on the campus and therefore staff are encouraged to commute to work using public transport, bike or walk to work. NNRCO participates in the government subsidised bike to work scheme.
- Strong collaboration skills and willingness to learn together with others as part of a team
- Readiness to proactively communicate and share own experience and knowledge
- Ability to, once proficient, independently Perform and complete own tasks
- Flexible, able to adapt to change in order to succeed in a dynamic, fast paced and challenging environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and other basic computer skills.
- Attention to details and ability to follow protocols
- Responsible, adhering to agreed task
- Organised and punctual
- Not afraid to ask for help when in doubt
- 2 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship standards
- Level 2 maths and English Functional skills, if required