Laboratory Technician Apprentice - Advanced (Level 3)
Park View School
TDR TRAINING LIMITED
Responsible to: Senior Science Technician / Subject Leader Science.
Accountable for: Co-ordinating the use and development of practical resources and facilities including the provision of guidance and support in meeting the practical requirements in the science curriculum.
You are required to:
- Carry out the duties of the support member of staff
- Provide technician services to the Science department to ensure that the needs of the Science curriculum are fully met
- Within current Health and Safety statutes and procedural guidelines, to prepare and set out equipment to enable teaching staff to undertake routine scientific demonstrations and class experimental work
- Manage the acquisition, safe storage and disposal of equipment and chemicals required in connection with delivery of the school’s science curriculum
You are required to undertake the following:
- In consultation with the appropriate teaching staff to provide, deliver and set up the required apparatus, equipment and materials/chemicals etc. for both routine demonstrations to be undertaken by teachers and to enable students to undertake required practical work
- Alert staff to any problems within the lesson or with the apparatus
- Assist with the preparation of work sheets and other teaching material as required and to record on video or audio tape necessary resource material
- Care for and maintain audio-visual equipment or associated aids
- Retrieve and clean any apparatus, equipment and materials/chemicals etc. after use and return to the store
- Mount displays of materials, visual aids and pupils’ work
- Also, according to ability and experience, to assist with class practical work and in recording the outcome of students’ practical work
- Assist in providing advice to pupils on the correct and safe use of equipment and the inherent dangers in failing to observe proper procedures
- Participate, as required, in staff development sessions
Organising/managing and developing resources:
- Ensure the maintenance of stock levels and stock taking when and where necessary
- Prepare items in advance when required (i.e. making up accurate solutions)
- Ensure that all apparatus is properly maintained at all times so that it can be used effectively
- Repair equipment when damaged
- Report any problems to the Senior Technician
- Collaborate with teaching staff, assist in the development of new resources
- Ensure up to date knowledge re. equipment / practical demonstrations / computer usage
Health and Safety:
- Ensure that laboratories are locked at all times when appropriate staff are not present
- Check materials and equipment, before and after use by a class, for quantity and damage
- Ensure that all mains services and apparatus are maintained in proper working order and that electrical components are regularly checked to ensure safety
- Ensure that chemicals are safely and securely stored in accordance with specific instructions and recommended guidelines
- Organise the storage of materials in and around the department
- Ensure the cleaning of heavily soiled glassware and the general laboratory areas
- Replace the roller towels, soap, paper towels etc, where necessary
- Check that all basic resources within laboratories are complete and flag up any problems with relevant teachers
- Maintain laboratories to ensure a clean, safe and orderly environment
- Undertake the safe disposal of chemical and biological waste
- Be aware of the Health and Safety requirements within the Science department
- Advise staff on the safety procedures and provide Hazards where necessary
- Attend scheduled department and school staff meetings and take part in Open Evenings if required
- Participate in the Appraisal Review process
- Participate in the In-Service Training programmes organised by the school and other relevant bodies
- Implement school policies
- Take responsibility for your own professional development, setting objectives for improvements
- Maintain a professional development portfolio of evidence to support the Appraisal process
- Participate in activities to promote liaison with other schools and agencies
Other Specific Duties:
- Play a full part in the life of the school community, support our vision and values and encourage staff and pupils to follow this example
- Undertake any other duty as specified by the school
- To be vigilant around the school re behaviour, apparatus, damage or loss
- To help with class support where appropriate
Possibility of a permanent position on successful completion.
This position is term time only, working 1 week within the summer holidays.
With the post being a term-time post, the salary is calculated across the year - therefore you will work for an actual 40 weeks out of 52 weeks, you will get paid for 46.124 weeks (that includes your holiday entitlement), this is then spread evenly across the 12 months.
Your annual salary will be £6,656.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Works well with others
- Good communicator
- Well organised
- Meets the desired qualifications
- Be transparent
- Be willing
- Be reliable
- Be caring
Candidates should ideally have a minimum of three GCSEs at grades 4-7 or A-C in maths, English and Sciences (or the equivalent) however we will interview on predicted grades.
Level 3 Laboratory Technician Standard, day release for BTEC L3 in Applied Science, with a Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities and EPA.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.