What will the apprentice be doing?
· Assist in the preparation of incoming samples for analysis.
· Carry out sample testing using various analytical techniques –
· Carry out periodic instrument ‘System Suitability Checks’ and document results.
· Monitor the stock of consumables used for the workstation and inform senior technician / supervisor of the need to re-order.
· Maintain workstations and complete the required documentation to a high standard
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Day release with 1 day a week allocated for independent study time.
Upon completion the candidate will possess a Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree. The apprenticeship standard is recognised by the Science Council at Registered Scientist (RSci) level.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Career Progression is moving towards a full-time Laboratory Technician.
Reality CheckA passion for Science is essential. Previous laboratory experience is preferable.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English, Maths, Science & IT (Grade 4 minimum) Essential