As part of the IVECO Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeship Programme, you will have the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge whilst carrying out maintenance and repairs on heavy vehicles in the workplace, this will include mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical vehicle systems.
You will also receive excellent training at Remit's state-of-the-art Automotive Academy to further develop your new skills and knowledge to the next level.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Learning the fundamentals of Heavy Vehicle technologies - Heavy Vehicle chassis, engine, fuels, transmissions, hydraulic and air braking, electrical systems and testing
- You will be trained on how to: Service, Maintain and Repair trucks
- Set up accessories and specific equipment on the vehicles
- Ensure appropriate work logs are kept for all vehicles, all job cards and service sheets are completed in a timely manner
- Working alongside a qualified Technician/Mentor learning how to carry out repairs according to industry procedures in a safe and responsible manner
As a Heavy Vehicle Apprentice, you will gain an understanding and knowledge of the following:
- The fundamentals of Heavy Vehicle technologies including; Heavy Vehicle chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension systems etc.
- How to service, inspect and maintain vehicles to the expected standards and the importance of safety inspection and maintenance schedules
- The types and associated characteristics of Heavy Vehicles and their configurations and applications
- Diagnosing principles and logical problem solving techniques related to Heavy Vehicles
Acorn Trucks believe in providing an extensive, high quality Apprenticeship which gives their Apprentices the opportunity to advance, succeed and fulfil their ambitions for a career in the motor industry.
Closing Dates: Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment; we reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the published closing date if we receive a sufficient number of applications Travel: Please check you are able to travel to the Crayford branch easily each day.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
As a technician, you will often be working as part of a team, so good communication and being able to follow instructions would be good skills to have.
You will need to demonstrate a strong passion for the industry and a real curiosity in finding out how things work. Being a heavy vehicle technician involves manual labour and requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina. It is important that technicians always use personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow safety procedures.
- No previous automotive qualifications are required
- If you have achieved a level 2 or level 3 in a similar field, you may not be eligible for this apprenticeship
- Minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) grades of 9-3/A*-D in English and maths
This is a Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Standard, delivered by Remit Group.
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at the Remit Academy in Derby.
This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Monday - Friday) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you. You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks at the workplace, giving 1-2-1 information, advice and guidance.
As a result, you will receive the following qualification:
- Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
- Functional Skills in English & maths (if required)