You will play a full part in the life of the college, supporting its distinctive aims and ethos and encouraging staff & students to follow this example. You will take part in the staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development, continuing personal development in the relevant areas including subject knowledge. You will get to engage actively in the performance review process. You will be able to help implement college quality procedures and adhere to them.
As a Microsoft Infrastructure Technician Apprentice your main roles and responsibilities will include:
- Investigate and diagnose and provide first line maintenance in network problems, seeking assistance where necessary
- Ensure that computers are operational each day
- Maintain the hardware
- Troubleshoot problems and resolve where possible
- Check, set up and install new equipment
- Ensure the college’s network runs efficiently, providing technical support on hardware and software problems
- Undertake the maintenance of all computer hardware on a regular basis to ensure a high standard to all IT equipment including checking of leads and cleaning
- Participate in discussions with users to understand their ICT requirements and recommend solutions to meet their needs in terms of hardware and software
- Ensure regular backing up takes place
- Re-distribute and reconfigure ICT requirements as required
- Maintain and distribute any central stock of ICT equipment, including laptops and visualisers, ensuring equipment is usable by setting up and advising users where necessary
- Install and configure hardware and software to agreed standards to maintain security of data
- Liaise with contractors and ensure secure transportation of equipment sent for repair
- Liaise with staff on a daily basis to support the efficient use of IT equipment within the college
- Set support priorities, balancing response to support requests with need to follow planned monitoring and maintenance in the context of staff availability and wider ICT service demands
- Assist in the provision of technical and networking support to teachers during teaching periods
- Support teaching staff in the use of ICT based activities
- Set up new users on networks when required
- Provide technical support for software that is unfamiliar to the teacher as directed by the Network manager
- Assist with new student and staff ICT induction
- Update the college’s internet filtering system to ensure that unsuitable sites are not available to staff and students
- Support staff and students in the use of the internet
- Support major developments of the ICT service and their implementation
- Liaise with third party maintenance contractors as required
- Assist, as directed by the Network manager, in the installation and configuration of software on the college network servers
- Assist the Network Manager, as directed, in the management of the college network servers and effective use of the Communications Room
- Operate and tailor software to meet the needs of the college
- Troubleshoot software problems, including compatibility across different versions
- Install network software as well as stand-alone software, liaise with support staff to ensure smooth integration onto all PCs including laptops for use by students and staff
- Ensure the security marking and recording of all new equipment in the college
- Identify when stocks of computer consumables (including printers/toners) reach re-order levels and order fresh supplies
- Assist the Network manager in maintaining and updating college web services such as iSAMS and CPOMS
- Assist the Network manager in maintaining and troubleshooting the college’s printing system PaperCut
- Implement the college’s backup, virus protection hardware, data and confidential information
- Assist the Network manager in the research and evaluation of ICT equipment
- To contribute to the Personal Development curriculum of our young people
- To participate in Professional Learning (including INSET and twilight INSET sessions) and Performance Management, contributing to the identification of own self development needs
- To attend staff meetings, as published annually in the whole college diary
- To participate professionally in own Line Management meetings
- To play an active role in our House system, contributing to the personal development of students
Throughout the duration of the apprenticeship, you will receive Microsoft training and accreditation through blended learning. This combines online technical training within a virtual classroom, as well as real-world and practical experience with your employer. The certifications you gain are highly respected and globally recognised. The skills, knowledge and experience you will gain whilst on the programme are invaluable, giving you the best possible start in your professional career within the IT industry.
There is the potential for progression into a full-time role upon completion of the apprenticeship, dependent upon business needs.
Please note that your commute may be taken into consideration when we review your application, in line with our safeguarding practices.
- You will be highly organized with excellent communication skills
- You will be willing to work hard and eager to learn
- You will be adaptable with the ability to multitask
- You will have superb IT skills and a base knowledge of hardware & software.
- The company require a bright, enthusiastic and hardworking individual with a genuine desire to learn and to build a career in technology
- The company are looking for someone with a positive, highly self-motivating, can-do attitude and who isn’t afraid to ask questions
To be considered for this role, you ideally will hold GCSE's or equivalent at C/4 grade in both maths & English, and in three or four other subjects at least. You should have a GCSE, BTEC or A Level in ICT or at least hands-on experience with the workings of computers and IT.
You will be enrolled onto the award-winning Microsoft Partner Apprenticeship Programme. You will work towards gaining skills across a variety of technical areas including MTA Cloud Fundamentals and MTA Network Fundamentals, and these are globally recognised certifications. You will also gain a City and Guilds Diploma in Coding & Logic and Mobile & Operating systems. This will also extend to business processes and project management.