An opportunity to develop your skills and experience by working as a Kent Fire and Rescue IT First Line Apprentice. We will provide you the opportunity and support to develop new work-placed skills in an organisation well known for being committed to staff development. Work in a supportive environment to develop your knowledge and professional skills.
To facilitate a single point of contact for IT. To provide first line IT support to internal staff helping with simple queries and resolving incidents.
The Helpdesk service provides support to circa 1500 KFRS staff, from operational fire-fighters to senior managers, supporting approximately 57 KFRS locations across Kent, plus mobile workers and working from home.
- Act as a single point of contact for IT related issues and requests, mainly over the phone/email. Maintain a high degree of customer service, assessing priority calls accurately and quickly to ensure major issues are identified quickly. Working flexibly with other 1st line engineer colleagues to ensure the help desk is manned at all times during the working day
- Learn and continue to effectively log all incidents and requests, categorising and prioritising calls correctly and allocating calls outside the remit of 1st line to the appropriate 2nd line queue, making sure full, appropriate and accurate details are available to 2nd line for them to quickly resolve the issue for the customer
- Assist with the administration of staff joining, leaving or moving within the Service in relation to the creation of new user accounts and password resets
- Setup basic IT equipment for new users and facilitate office moves usually limited to Service Headquarters, ensuring all assets are tagged and accurately recorded. Process user requests for access to applications making sure appropriate approvals have been sought
- Managing the lifecycle of incidents and requests, closing calls when the customer is satisfied. On behalf of IT take ownership of calls, chasing up progress
- Keeping customers informed of the status of services. In particular, provide information to Control to ensure they are aware of any issues that could impact upon their ability to mobilise a crew or appliance. As directed, appropriately communicate information in the event of a major IT incident and provide updates to managers as part of delivering the IT business continuity plan
- Undertake administrative tasks such as, run reports, maintain intranet pages, maintain asset management etc.
- Learning and understand General Data Protection Regulations and National Cyber Security Centre regulations and communicate risks
- To meet all learning commitments of the apprenticeship as directed by your line manager and the learning/training provider. Assigned qualifications and an end point assessment must be completed. This can include presentations, portfolios, units of assessment and exams
Will be discussed at interview.
Maidstone East Station (30 mins walk or bus) Maidstone West Station (30 mins walk or bus) Bus available from town centre to Tovil, although a walk is still required to Headquarters.
- Basic Word and Excel. Microsoft 365 products
- Interest in a career in IT support including hardware and software i.e. Microsoft products
- Desire to learn new technology and self-development
- Problem solving skills including identification and appropriate escalation
- Good communication skills and ability to build relationships
Calm and confident individual.
GCSE level qualification for English and mathematics or equivalent.
The Information Communications Technician makes their contribution through the application of infrastructure management tools to automate the provisioning, testing, deployment and monitoring of infrastructure components. An Information Communications Technician (ICT) provides support to internal and/or external customers, by using tools or systems to problem solve and trouble-shoot routine and non-routine problems.
This occupation supports clients/customers with their systems. They achieve this through monitoring and maintaining the systems and/or platforms to maximise productivity and user experience.
There are 3 pathways within this Apprenticeship which include:
- A Support Technician
- A Network Technician
- A Digital Communications Technician
As a result, you will achieve:
- Level 3 Information Communications Technician
- Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)