The ICT Support Department is a busy and lively department supporting every aspect of the School’s use of ICT and related technologies. We aim to provide proactive support and the team strives to deliver the best possible solutions for the School.
BGS is well equipped with projection solutions in almost all classrooms, as well as interactive whiteboards or TVs in some. We have dedicated computer suites and many banks of laptops running Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365 as well as large amounts of curriculum software. Our 1532 performing arts centre has a number of classrooms containing Apple Macs, primarily for music, as these allow pupils to become more familiar with the industry standard tools. Printing and scanning facilities are available throughout the school.
Teachers are issued with a laptop and iPad, and all pupils from year 3 upwards have an iPad configured for their personal use. Senior school pupils also take these home to aid their studies. Pupils in the infant school have access to class sets of iPads. In addition to our 1to1 iPad deployment some sixth form pupils are granted access to the School’s wireless network on personal laptops to further aid their studies.
At the heart of our school computer network we have a VMWare virtual server environment, with a Nimble storage area network, containing a series of Windows based servers. The School has a good network infrastructure with a 500Mb leased line connection and a centrally managed wireless network which covers the whole school site.
SharePoint has been installed to provide the School’s intranet. This along with a number of other solutions, such as Google Apps and Microsoft Office 365, provide great tools for enhancing learning. Staff and Pupils have access to these and their email from home as well as much of the school software via a Windows RDS deployment.
BGS uses SIMS as our management information system, and allows parents and pupils to view information held on the school’s MIS such as homework, behaviour and attendance information or reports via the relevant SIMS apps.
Purpose of the job;
The role of the ICT Apprentice will be to provide technical support to Staff and Pupils as well as to maintain the schools computer systems and network infrastructure to make sure the steady operation of the IT resources within the School, providing the best ICT service that the School can deliver.
- Installation, configuration and imaging of computers and laptops and iPads
- MDM administration, tracking and troubleshooting school owned staff and pupil iPads
- User Account Management on various IT systems including Active Directory
- Wireless Network System
- Maintaining computer asset
- Managing and supporting Cloud based systems - Office 365 / Google
- Perform backups and restoration of data when required
- IT Hardware upgrades / repairs
- Deal with external suppliers / support contracts
- Printers, Print Management Software, photocopiers, and projector maintenance
- Provide front line support and services
- To assist at occasional events, (Entrance Exams / Open Evenings / House Singing) if required
- Firewall support
- VMware support
- To perform any technical and administration related tasks as requested by the System Manager or Director of IT
- To carry out all other duties which are in accordance with the purpose and grade of the post
- Conforming to the School’s Code of Conduct
- Adherence to the School’s safeguarding procedures
- Career progression
- Please google the location prior to applying
Benefits will include:
- Competitive salary
- Full training, along with support to gain professional qualifications
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Proven numerical and written skills
- Structured and organised approach
- Ability to work under pressure as well as plan and manage competing deadlines and demands
- Excellent telephone manner
- An attention for detail and methodical manner
- Ability to multitask
- High level of accuracy
In addition, we need you to be proactive, positive and be able to pay attention to detail and accuracy. In return, we offer a fantastic ‘family feel’ working environment that promotes very low levels of staff turnover and offer a fantastic package of benefits, to include:
- Initiative: Demonstrating the willingness and ability to use initiative - whether that means deciding on necessary action and following it through - or suggesting ways to work in a better way
- Flexibility: Be able to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends
- Adaptability: Willingness to adapt and embrace to the changing and varied needs of the business
- Teamwork: The willingness and ability to collaborate and work closely with colleagues in a mutually supportive manner
- Applicants must have GCSE English and maths A*-C / 9-4 or equivalant
- The Skills Network will delivery 121 training on the chosen Apprenticeship Standard to support you in your current role