Founded in 1920, Forticretes range of concrete roof tiles, cast stone, walling stone & architectural masonry are unrivalled in their field, having evolved over five decades through close collaboration with our customers in the UK construction industry.
As part of the Ibstock Plc Group, we operate 7 manufacturing sites across the UK.
We are passionate about the recruitment and development of talented individuals so that we can continue to surpass our customers' expectations.
An Apprenticeship with Forticrete offers you the chance to train for a highly skilled role, gain a nationally recognised qualification and be paid while you learn and be part of a great business!
We are looking for one Electrical Apprentice, to work at our Leighton Buzzard Factory, Boss Avenue, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 4SD in the UK. The Apprenticeship will last for about 4 years and combine both residential studies at MAKE UK in Birmingham and on the job learning with an experienced mentor at the Factory. As well as training and qualifications, you will also be paid a competitive rate of pay and be eligible for benefits, including a defined contribution pension scheme. We will also support your continuing professional development after you have qualified.
*This course offers a residential first year in Birmingham*
As an Electrical Apprentice:
- You will be supporting the Engineers with the maintenance of the plant and equipment within the factory and undertaking preventative maintenance tasks. It is essential that you have a practical hands-on approach to completing these tasks, and you will need good organisational skills to enable you to manage the range of tasks competing for attention.
- At college you will be studying subjects to give you the appropriate knowledge and skills to carry out these tasks, such as Electronic Fault Finding, Features and Applications of Electrical Machines, and Principles and Operations of Three Phase Systems to name but a few.
- You will input information into a planned maintenance system, and you will support the collection and analysis of production data, so computer skills will be necessary.
- You will be responsible for familiarising yourself with Ibstock Policies and Procedures in your particular area, and to work within the Health and Safety parameters within the factory.
- In addition, you will also study a number of Mechanical units in your third and fourth year such as Maintaining Mechanical Equipment and Mechanical Fault Diagnosis.
Future ProspectsThere is potential for the right candidates to move into a Management or a Technical Role, fully supported by a Continuous Professional Development programme within Ibstock plc
Reality CheckThe first year of the apprenticeship is full time and based on a residential basis, at MAKE UK in Birmingham, starting at 8am â 4:30pm Monday to Thursday and 8am - 12.30pm on Friday; this will require the Apprentice to be based in Birmingham on a residential basis. During the second and third year, the Apprentice is expected to attend MAKE UK in Birmingham on a residential basis, for two-week block release during the year. Ibstock will cover all travel and residential costs. The candidate will be expected to study for additional examinations as part of the Ibstock Apprenticeship Scheme You will be staying in Birmingham all week during your first year, in a hotel, with the other apprentices. Once your apprenticeship has finished you may be expected to work shifts including nights
Skills RequiredPractical, someone who enjoys working with their hands, who is up for a challenge. Competent use of software packages, including word, spread sheets and email. Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a range of tasks competing for attention. Good interpersonal skills.
Qualities RequiredEnthusiastic and willing to learn new skills Self-motivated and reliable Must have a positive approach to work Want to participate in a team environment Be able to use your initiative Flexible and Punctual
Qualifications Required3 or more GCSEâs at Grade 4 / C or above, especially in Maths, English, Science, Product Design
Training to be Provided :This 4 year programme will include:
- Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time at Make UK in Aston, Birmingham
- NVQ Level 3 in Engineering
- A Technical Certificate (BTEC Diploma Level 3 in Engineering)
- In house training in line with your requirements