What will the apprentice be doing?
- You’ll get to choose whether you specialise in Hydrography or Meteorology, and from day one you’ll work towards a Foundation Degree, and then a BSc.
- Hydrographers complete ocean and coastal surveys, recording information on currents, water composition and depth.
- Meteorologists measure the environmental impact on operations, determining cloud cover for our aircraft or oceanographic information for our submarines, and ultimately forecasting the weather.
- Both roles use some of the most advanced kit on the planet
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Once you have completed your training you will be a qualified Hydrography and Meteorology Specialist (Data Technician)
You’ll start your naval career as an Able Rate. With experience and further training, you could be promoted to Leading Hand and beyond
For Hydrography Specialists, this includes:
- Learning about tidal theory, the global positioning system, gravity and magnetics.
- Using a range of surveying equipment and techniques
Understanding your role as Helmsman, including boat-handling and general seamanship.
For Meteorology Specialists, this includes:
- Learning basic meteorological and oceanographic theory
Qualifying as an accredited weather observer.
- Gaining 12 months of experience at a Royal Naval Air Station before going to sea
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If you show the right commitment, skills and academic ability, you could become a Commissioned Officer. Members of the Royal Navy are promoted on merit. Work hard and you can rise through the ranks
Reality CheckAn excellent pension scheme Six weeks of paid holiday every year Free medical and dental care
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Math and English (Grade GCSE Level C/4) Desired