We are seeking candidates who will primarily be based in the production and harvesting areas of our Wildflower and Sedum mat products team. This a high-value area of the business that has seen exceptional growth in the last 12 months. The team currently has 1 manager, an assistant manager and 3 other permanent full-time employees as well as seasonal agency staff. The mat products team have close links with our turf team which comprises 26 permanent staff and 2 managers.
To carry out all growing and harvesting activities associated with all our wildflower and mat products, including:
- Cultivation of seed beds
- Crop establishment
- Ongoing maintenance of the products
- Harvesting of mat products
- Involvement in trial plots and development of new products
You must have your own transport for these positions due to lack of public transport near to the farm sites and the requirement to be flexible with working times.
To become a fully-trained member of our production and harvesting teams with responsibilities for production, maintenance, harvesting and irrigation of mat products. Opportunities to assist with the research and testing of new products as we constantly seek to add new products to our diverse range to meet the demands of our customers and this increasingly popular sector of the market.
Vacancy is based entirely outdoors, in all weathers. The role involves significant physical activity.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Attention to detail as precision is an essential part of this job
- A reasonable level of numeracy for record-keeping
- A willingness to learn the skills to harvest and grow our specialist products to a high standard
- A love of working outdoors as this role involves a significant proportion of manual labour
- You must be a self-motivated, hard-working team player willing to learn and become involved in all aspects of wildflower and sedum mat production and harvest
- Be punctual and reliable
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9 - 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship. PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
- Horticulture / Landscape Operative Standard
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Safe use of Pesticides
- Functional Skills maths and English