The Eden Project is offering the opportunity to ‘earn while you learn’ on a two year horticulture apprenticeship programme. If you want to start building your career, an Apprenticeship Programme with the Eden Project is the perfect way!
Training and support will be offered from their experienced horticultural team. The Apprenticeship opportunity will also equip participants with the necessary skills required for becoming a horticulturist in a rapidly changing world where climate, carbon and food security will have a dramatic impact on the way we all work.
Horticulture apprentices will quickly become intrinsic members of their world class horticulture team. You will take an active role in the care and development of the horticultural collections and exhibits including working in the tropical and mediterranean biomes, the outdoor garden, wider estate and the science and nursery teams.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist with soft landscaping, care of hedgerows, fencing, path and bridleway maintenance
- Responsible for use, care and maintenance of machinery used in grass and hedge cutting tasks, strimming and the use of a compact tractor
- Support the wider team with horticultural by pruning, planting, seed sowing, watering, spraying and weeding
- Assist with the identification of pests and diseases
This is a 2 year fixed term apprenticeship contract.
The role will require physical activity and you will be required to work outdoors in all weathers.
You must ensure you have suitable travel arrangements in place to get to and from work.
If you do not have your own transport available you should consider how you will travel to work, as Eden is in a rural location and public transport is not always available. A travel bursary is available for those who live further than 3 miles away from Eden.
30 days annual leave per year (including bank holidays), plus an additional day off on your birthday!
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the apprenticeship positions on offer at Eden please contact Lorraine Tonkin, HR Business Partner, on 01726 818739.
- Basic understanding or interest in learning about horticulture
- Basic understanding or interest in learning basic machinery skills
- Good communication skills and ability to work as a team member
- Decisions will be low level and routine in nature, with minimal business impact. Any complex or difficult decision making will be past to a senior member of the team.
Collaborate with colleagues and senior staff to devise innovative and creative ways to improve horticultural efficiency.
The job holder is required to engage, communicate and interact with colleagues both verbally and in writing.
There are no people management responsibilities in this role.
- Team player
- Punctual and reliable
- Hard working and motivated
- Keen to learn new horticultural skills
- Commitment and enthusiasm for horticulture
- The role regularly requires physical effort such as bending, lifting and working in relatively confined spaces or in cold or inclement weather.
- GCSE grade D/3 or above in maths and English (or equivalent) is desirable
- Have an intermediate level of IT skill.
- Horticultural/gardening experience (paid or voluntary) would be an advantage, although this is not essential provided that there is a high level of motivation displayed
We are looking for a number of enthusiastic and committed people to take up varied Apprenticeship positions starting in September. All apprentices will complete a national recognised Level 2 qualification during their apprenticeship and where apprentices excel there is also an opportunity to progress to a Level 3 qualification, where appropriate.
As a new entrant into horticulture, the main requirement from this role will be your contribution through practical involvement in horticultural and landscaping tasks. Duties will be supported, structured and timetabled across all of the living collections teams including the Outdoor biome, Rainforest biome, Mediterranean biome, Science Team and Nursery.
The Work Based Diploma in Horticulture (intermediate), including:
- One day emergency first aid course
- Personal learning and thinking skills
- Building a portfolio of evidence
In order to be successful you will need to be motivated and committed to completing the 2 years. We don’t need you to have lots of previous qualifications or experience, we are looking for the right attitude and a willingness to learn and get stuck in! Our apprenticeships are open to anyone aged 16 and over. There is no upper age limit.