What will you be doing?
- You will start your day at 07:30 where the day’s work will be planned
- You’ll learn how to make a visual inspection of the park and clear any litter and empty bins
- You’ll learn how to replant a display bed, work in the greenhouse and cutting the lawns
- You’ll also get to visit one of our many high streets to weed and maintain bedding displays
- On other days you will be helping to shape up formal hedges or clearing leaf fall from the parks
- You’ll also get to learn how to cultivate and prepare for seeding and planting, maintaining general amenity turf and decorative amenity areas
- You’ll also understand how to use and maintain both powered and non-powered tools and equipment, whilst learning the importance of health and safety and managing your own personal performance
Throughout your 18 month apprenticeship, we will allocate you a workplace mentor to give you guidance and support in completing your Level 2 in Horticulture Operative.
May lead to permanent employment for the right candidate on completion of the apprenticeship.
As part of this training route you need to undertake a basic skills assessment as part of the selection process. These will be emailed to you by the training provider, Wiltshire College.
The apprenticeship training requires you to attend weekly day release on a Monday at Wiltshire College, Lackham Park, Chippenham, SN15 2NY. The council will cover your travel expenses to the college.
The college have implemented social distancing measures to maintain safety of all of it’s students and next start date for this course is in January 2021.
You’ll be completing a Level 2 Horticulture Operative which will provide you with a highly transferable set of knowledge and skills, which you gain by working for us. At college you’ll learn the following core areas:
- Health and safety
- Customer care
- Decision making
- Planting, plant growth and development
- Plant Identification
- Soil cultivation
- Tools, equipment and machinery
- Vegetation control
- Site presentation
- Team working
When you aren’t at college, the rest of your time will be spent with us learning on the job.
In addition to your workplace mentor, you will also be allocated an assessor by Wiltshire College, who will come to visit you either at work or virtually, to complete reviews. These reviews are simply to make sure you are on track and happy.
Your apprenticeship requires you to complete an end point assessment which will see you demonstrate what you have learned as an apprentice and how it can be applied in any other organisation. This will be another chance for you to shine!
The end point assessment consists of a Practical Assessment, Professional Discussion and Online Knowledge Assessment. Don’t worry, we and your assessor will give you plenty of support and encouragement to ensure you are prepared and confident to complete this stage. We also have plenty of apprentices here that can give you tips and help ease any nerves or concerns, because they have completed an end point assessment themselves!
What we need from you:
- You will need to have good attention to detail and be able to work well as part of a team.
- Have a keen interest and passion for Horticulture and Landscaping.
- Good communication skills
Things you need to know:
This role will provide suitable candidates with an opportunity to work in an award winning park as well as developing skills in a much wider field delivering key green services across all aspects of the council business including tree planting, environmental and conservation projects.
- To succeed in this role you must have a good work ethic and commitment to gaining your qualification as well as your learning on the job and your employment
Ideally you will have an English and maths qualification at grade D or 3 and above, or equivalent, or be willing to work towards gaining Level 2 in English and maths.
All applicants will be required to pass initial assessments in maths and English.
- L2 NVQ Diploma in Horticulture
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Functional Skills (English and maths) if required