Highways Maintenance Operative Apprentice
Ringway Group Limited
TELFORD COLLEGE OF ARTS & TECHNOLOGY
There’s so much variety as a Highways Maintenance Operative and it’s a career to be proud of. If you enjoy working outdoors, being part of a hard-working team and would like a meaningful job where your contribution adds value to people’s surroundings, an apprenticeship with Ringway is an excellent way to embark on this exciting career path.
Ringway is a market leader in the Highways Maintenance Industry. We are the preferred partner to many local councils across the UK to look after their roads and this is all down to the hard work and commitment of our people, who we take great pride investing in and developing.
Our Highways Maintenance Operative Apprenticeships take around 18 months to 2 years and provides you with a learning experience that will develop your practical, technical and team working skills with Health & Safety at the heart of everything you do. There’s a permanent job for you upon achievement and great longer-term career prospects with our company. We recently increased the starting pay for apprentices too!
- Understand and follow work procedures to ensure own safety and safety of others
- Carry out repairs to road and footway surfaces using bituminous materials (bitmac)
- Carry out repairs to other paved surfaces, block paving, concrete slabs, stone setts
- Carry out repairs and maintenance to signs, fences, barriers, and other street furniture
- Carry out repairs and maintenance to walls, bridges and other highway structures
- Carry out maintenance, cleaning and repair to road gullies and highway drainage systems
- Provide traffic management measures for a variety of highway maintenance activities
- Assist with recording work activities using hand-held devices
- Assist with basic vehicle maintenance checks
- Assist with the response to emergencies, floods, fallen trees, weather events, road traffic accidents
- Attend apprentice training in regular blocks which will require staying away from home
- Complete all apprentice training coursework on time
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship it is the intention of Ringway to progress the learner into a permanent position. This will be reviewed and based upon performance and the needs of the business at the time.
Telford College are the training provers for this vacancy. The apprentices will need to attend Telford College in Shropshire from Monday to Friday approximately 1 week a month (accommodation provided).
The salary will rise during the apprenticeship on a regular basis - dependent upon performance.
Please click on ‘Apply Now’, complete the online application form and submit it by 2nd March
- 2020First interviews for selected applicants will be in the week commencing 16th March 2020
- Second interviews will be held in the week commencing 20th April 2020
- Those offered an apprenticeship will officially join us end of June 2020
- Ensures work is accurate, timely and prepared to the appropriate required standard
- Good basic practical skills
- Basic numeracy and literacy
- Ability to interpret documentation
- Computer skills in Word and Excel
- Good communication and personal skills
- Basic understanding of health and safety requirements
- Takes personal responsibility for work produced and escalates issues when appropriate
- Works to support the team in their targets
- Acts and behaves safely
You will need to have as a minimum maths and English at grades A*-E (9-2) or the equivalent qualifications to apply for this apprenticeship.
- Level 2 in Highways Maintenance Skilled Operative standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English
- End Point Assessment with skills assessment and knowledge test
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.