As part of the MAN Manufacturer - Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeship Programme, you will have the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge whilst carrying out maintenance and repairs on heavy vehicles in the workplace, this will include mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical vehicle systems.
You will also receive excellent training at Remit's state-of-the-art Automotive Academy to further develop your new skills and knowledge to the next level.
The Heavy Vehicle Technicians jobs fall into three main categories:
- Servicing - carrying out checks
- Maintenance - replacing/repairing engine parts
- Diagnostics - using the latest diagnostic equipment
As an apprentice, you will observe, learn and gain an understanding of a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff.
You will be able to:
- Demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team
- Learn and understand the importance of Health and safety within the workplace
- Learn the fundamental technologies - Heavy Vehicle chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, hydraulic and air braking, etc.
- Develop the skills to construct or modify apparatus and instruments from verbal instructions and drawings
- Learn how to maintain workshop equipment and to keep it in good repair
A certain amount of administration is also required to maintain the vehicles repair and service records as well as Fishlake Commercials records.
Fishlake Commercials believe in providing an extensive, high quality Apprenticeship which gives their Apprentices the opportunity to advance, succeed and fulfill their ambitions for a career in the motor industry.
The competition for apprenticeship placements is strong so please ensure your application is tailored to the type of apprenticeship you are applying for, pay attention to presentation, spelling and grammar and include any relevant experience, hobbies/interests or qualifications.
You will need to be comfortable with a wide range of vehicles such as trucks, buses, trailers and heavy equipment. Being a Heavy Vehicle technician requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina.
You will need to demonstrate a strong passion for the industry and a real curiosity in finding out how things work. Being a heavy vehicle technician involves manual labour and requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina. It is important that technicians always use personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow safety procedures.
- No previous automotive qualifications are required
- If you have achieved a level 3 in a similar field, you may not be eligible for this apprenticeship
- Minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) grades of 9-3/(A*-D) in English and maths
This is a Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Standard, delivered by Remit Group.
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at the Remit Academy in Derby.
This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Monday - Friday) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you. You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks at the workplace, giving 1-2-1 information, advice and guidance.
As a result, you will receive the following qualification:
- Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
- Functional Skills in English & maths (if required)