The Apprenticeship is a 3 year programme which provides the opportunity to earn while learning new skills and gaining a nationally-recognised qualification.
A Heavy Vehicle Service Technician will inspect, maintain, and repair large vehicles weighing 3.5 tonnes and over.
The Heavy Vehicle Technicians jobs fall into three main categories:
- Servicing - carrying out checks
- Maintenance - replacing / repairing engine parts
- Diagnostics - using the latest diagnostic equipment
As an apprentice, you will observe, learn and gain an understanding of a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff.
You will be able to:
- Demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team
- Learn and understand the importance of Health and safety within the workplace
- Learn the fundamental technologies - Heavy Vehicle chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, hydraulic and air braking, etc.
- Develop the skills to construct or modify apparatus and instruments from verbal instructions and drawings
- Learn how to maintain workshop equipment and to keep it in good repair
Whilst initially a fixed-term contract, North Kesteven District Council is committed to growing and nurturing people and provide support to ensure they have the best chance of securing a permanent position in the future.
Closing date for applications is 31 May 2021.
Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment Start date for this apprenticeship is September 2021.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a formal recruitment process including half a day assessment at the Metheringham Depot workshop. Following this suitable applicants will be invited back for an interview during July 2021.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- The job involves working predominantly on refuse trucks and caged tippers as well as vans
- As a technician, you will often be working as part of a team, so good communication and being able to follow instructions would be good skills to have
- You will need to demonstrate a strong passion for the industry and a real curiosity in finding out how things work
Minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) grades of 9 - 3 (A* - D) in English and maths.
Training ProvidedThis is a Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Standard, delivered by Remit Group. Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at the Remit Academy in Derby. This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Mon â Fri) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you. You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks at the workplace, giving 1-2-1 information, advice and guidance. As a result, you will receive the following qualification: â¢ Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3 â¢ Functional Skills in English & Maths (if required)