Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeship
S & J Transport
REMIT GROUP LIMITED
S&J Transport are a family run Haulage company based in Coleshill, West Midlands. Specialising in the repair of Scania vehicles, with dedicated Scania diagnostic software.
With fully equipped workshop facilities,they can provide repairs and services to your vehicles, from inspections to engine work.
As an Apprentice you will work alongside a team of experienced mechanics, where you will learn to maintain and repair heavy goods vehicles, specifically blowing vehicles (gravity pump compressor).
The role of a HGV Fitter (Apprentice) falls into three main responsibilities:
- Servicing - working to guidelines to ensure a vehicle is running at optimum performance
- Maintenance - replacing parts that have wear and tear before they fail
- Repair - diagnosing the reason for vehicle failure and fixing the problem
The techniques and daily responsibilities you will learn will include:
- Using diagnostic, mechanical and electrical measuring equipment to investigate vehicle faults and identify their underlying causes
- Inspecting and preparing vehicles ready for mechanical work
- Removing, repairing or replacing components to the correct specification
- Contributing to a safe working environment, by working within Health and Safety processes
On successful completion of your Level 3 apprenticeship along with functional skills in maths and English (where required) you will be a fully qualified Heavy Vehicle Technician with the skills to continue your career in the industry.
This apprenticeship would last for 3 years and will require dedication and commitment for the duration of the position.
There is a huge shortfall in the Automotive Industry for skilled vehicle Technicians so this is a great career opportunity.
Technicians normally work 40 hours a week, typically from Monday to Friday. During busy periods it may be required to also work Saturdays with either overtime or a day off in the week.
Enhanced payments for Saturday working at 18+.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
No skills are required as we will provide all the training needed for the role.
Key personal skills to demonstrate include:
- A willingness to learn
- Mechanical interest/practical
- Personal responsibility and resilience
- Problem solving
We want to identify those people that are ambitious and demonstrate a willingness to learn, who are excited and passionate at the prospect of working in the Heavy automotive industry, who are good communicators, can work on their own initiative as well as in a team and want to become experts in their technical field.
No previous automotive qualifications are required, and we will support and help develop your English and maths.
This is a Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Standard, delivered by Remit Group.
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at the Remit Academy in Derby.
This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Mon – Fri) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you. You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks at the workplace, giving 1-2-1 information, advice and guidance.
As a result, you will receive the following qualification:
- Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (Heavy Vehicle) Level 3
- Functional Skills in English & maths (if required)
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.