Provide practical assistance of the highest quality to frail elderly adults with dementia and other mental health conditions in a residential/nursing care home by assisting them with tasks of daily living whilst encouraging them to achieve maximum independence. Working with residents to maintain their independence by creating opportunities which take into account their own personal choices and preferences.
- To support residents to develop a range of relationships within the home
- To work co-operatively with colleagues and other professionals
- To assist residents in maintaining hygienic standards and to comply with health and safety requirements
- To assist residents by serving meals and beverages
- To assist residents all with aspects of personal care, including bathing, dressing, toileting and the disposal of soiled clothing/incontinence dressings (over 18's only)
- Help residents with mobility problems and other physical disability
- Make and change beds, assist in the care of empty commodes and some cleaning of rooms
- To be aware of and support residents with their emotional, cultural, spiritual and practical needs
- At all times to adhere to the home’s policies and procedures
Discussed during interview.
You should have the aptitude to deal with people in all situations. You must be prepared to deliver intimate personal care including toileting and soiled clothing/linen. We want candidates who are looking for continual development and you must be passionate about working in care. You will not be required to deliver personal care if aged under 18. You will be required to undertake a DBS check.
- Communication Skills (clear and sensitive)
- Treating people fairly and trying to understand their particular needs
- Ability to physically support individuals with personal care
- Awareness of safety for yourself and others
- Customer service skills
- Being sensitive and empathetic – nurturing skills
- A positive attitude to work
- Pride in their work
- Able to handle challenging situations
- Good sense of humour
- LOTS of common sense and showing initiative
GCSE maths and English minimum grade 4/C or the equivalent.
- Adult Care Worker level 2 apprenticeship