This is an excellent opportunity to take your first steps into developing your career as a Groundworker Apprentice.
Groundworkers are the first trade on to a construction and civil engineering site and they work closely with supervisors and engineers in interpreting design specifications to prepare the site ready for the structural building works to take place. They continue their work throughout the construction phase, working with all on-site construction trades, such as bricklayers and plant operatives, up to and including the final completion activities of the project.
This apprenticeship will include working alongside qualified staff and learning all aspects of groundworkers including:
- Adhering to health & safety
- Setting out and preparing the sub-surfaces ready for the structural work to begin
- Interpreting plans and drawings
- Site clearance
- Helping to prepare site
- Unloading and storing building materials
- Marking out and digging trenches for foundations
- Preparing footings
- Installing drainage systems
- Assisting with house and road drainage works including plastic drainage or SUDS system – sustainable drainage system
- Assisting with basement works for underground carpark
- Preparing reinforced concrete frame for underground car park
- Concreting – layering and smoothing concrete for foundations and floors
- Constructing roads and pathways
- Assisting with road drainage and attenuation works
- Carrying out finished hard landscaping
- Working with a banksman
- Dumper/digger/360 excavator training
- General labouring
- Keeping work area clean and tidy
- Clearing up at the end of the day
The apprenticeship will involve working towards a Level 2 Groundworker apprenticeship which will be delivered at a College on a day release basis, you will also work on site helping you to gain the vital experience needed to become an effective groundworker. This apprenticeship will include an End Point Assessment.
When applying for this role, please also go to the TrAC website which can be found at: https://www.tracweb.co.uk and register your details.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Good maths and English skills are required
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to show initiative
- Ability to establish and maintain good and effective working relationships
- General health and safety awareness
- Positive attitude
- Keen to learn
- Keen to progress
- Not afraid to get wet and muddy!
- Able to work alone and as part of a team
- Highly motivated
- Strong work ethic
- GCSE grade D/3 and above in maths and English is required or equivalent qualifications
- Construction based work experience would be an advantage but is not essential
- Level 2 Groundworker apprenticeship
- Maths and English L1/L2 Functional Skills
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities