What will the apprentice be doing?
- All gardening tasks involved in looking after a Grade I listed public garden
- Work a five day working week. Approximately 8 hours a day, with some occasional weekend work
- Work with a mixture of staff and volunteers across a number of different departments
- Report to the Head Gardener and Assistant Head Gardener
- Get involved in all aspects of work in the garden including machinery use, propagation and animal husbandry
- All tools, uniform and PPE provided
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
What apprentices will learn:
- Principles of plant growth and development
- Plant nutrition requirements
- Ways to reduce waste
- How to use equipment correctly
- Cultivating soils for differing purposes
- Controlling plant pests and diseases
- Identifying plants
- Apprenticeship Certificate - Horticulture or Landscape Operative level 2
- Level 3 award in emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance OR Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
During term time, the apprentice will spend one day a week at Plumpton College with the other 4 days at Leonardslee Gardens near Horsham in West Sussex. Outside of term time, all 5 days will be spent at Leonardslee.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- We will prepare the apprentice for a successful career in the horticulture industry. Whether that career continues here at Leonardslee will depend on job vacancy opportunities at the time their apprentice contract ends
Reality CheckThe ability to get to and from a relatively rural location each day. We work outside in all weathers. Leonardslee is open to the public 364 days a year.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Problem solving skills, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Physical fitness, A proven passion for gardening
Qualifications RequiredNVQ or SVQ Level 1 or equivalent Maths and English (Grade Level 1) Desired