Tensor are looking for a Gardener Apprentice to cover all aspects of working and managing laid out gardens. The apprentice will work alongside gardeners at Hail Weston House which comprises of 5 acres of gardens in Cambridgeshire.
During the first year most of the time will be spent:
- On the main grounds working of beds and time in the glasshouses understanding the basic work
During the second year you will be given more responsibility in managing areas on your own and taking responsibility of plant material. The apprentice will be given an opportunity to demonstrate what you have learnt by managing areas yourselves alongside:
- Maintaining the care of plants in the greenhouse
- Working in the glasshouses
- Grass cutting
- General garden maintenance
Potential qualified position as a professional gardener upon completion of the apprenticeship.
A lot of the time you will be working outside in all weathers. You need to be physically fit and agile
*Wage will increase depending on age and experience*
Candidates must carry out an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage.
Only candidates who have fully completed the application will be considered. Please be aware that the closing date is subject to change without prior notice.
- Are physically fit and able to undertake outside work in gardens
- Already have a keen interest in horticulture, gardens and working outside
- Have an interest in learning and understanding plants
- Are self-motivated and can be trusted to work on their own
- Have a keen interest to become a professional gardener
- Be Hardworking and enthusiastic about gardens and plants
- Take a pride in their work and able to follow instructions
- Be reliable time keepers and be able to get to Hail Weston House each day
To be considered for this role you will ideally need GCSE's (or equivalent) at grades 9-3 (A*-D) including maths and English.
Level 2 Apprenticeship in either Horticulture or Landscape Operative. Plus: Emegency First Aid at Work, Level 2 Safe use of handling and application of pesticides, Functional Skills in English & maths (if required). You will also study a range of topics to include: Health and Safety, Business Skills, Machinery, Plant and Soil Science, Plant health