What will the apprentice be doing?
This opportunity is ideally suited to someone who is excited to start work and set themselves up for a successful career in the sector.
The role provides opportunity to work on projects for some of the world’s leading automotive brands such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover, McLaren and Rolls Royce, as well as those from the medical, drinks (dispense) and general industrial sectors.
As a General Operative you will be required to carry out a wide variety of tasks which whilst not an exhaustive list will include the following:
• Follow work instructions and work from job specific process cards
• Follow these instructions without deviation at all times unless specifically advised otherwise by a superior
• Where required keep records and fill out batch cards accurately
• Ensure quality standards are adhered to
• General House Keeping – keep your work area tidy including basic maintenance of machines/tools
• If required to work additional hours over and above your normal working hours in order to achieve production targets
• Follow the company standard operating procedures
• Take part in all Company training programmes and team briefing sessions
• Work in different areas throughout the factory to suit production needs
• If there is insufficient work to keep fully utilised then raise with immediate superior
• To carry out task related duties related to specific role(s) within the business
• To carry out any reasonable request from a superior
• To support and help other members of the team in times of pressure.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
In addition to the Level 2 Engineering Operative apprenticeship standard, you will receive the following training:
Full induction in-house training on all company policies and procedures
Level 2 Diploma in engineering operations (skills)
Level 2 Certificate or Diploma in engineering operations (knowledge)
All necessary Health and Safety training
Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
End-Point Assessment (EPA)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Those successfully completing the apprenticeship programme will be given opportunity to progress in the business (including wet paint spraying, powder coating, polishing, business administration and more) with increased responsibility and pay as appropriate.
Reality CheckBirmingham and the West Midlands has long been the heart- land of the UK Engineering and Manufacturing industry. Work in this sector can be very satisfying and with the impending skills shortage across the UK, you could be set for life as long as you put the work in. We highly recommend that you attend one of our company open events and come and experience for yourself the factory environment and speak to other workers about their experiences. Thank you for considering Frederick Cooper, we do hope this opportunity is of interest to you, and that we see you soon; if not then we take this opportunity to wish you every success in the future.
Skills RequiredIT skills, Attention to detail, Administrative skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 3 / D) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3 / D) Desired