Forterra has an extensive network of 17 manufacturing facilities in the UK, employing approximately 1,900 people.
They are a leading manufacturer of a diverse and trusted range of concrete and clay building products used extensively within the construction sector, with instantly recognisable brands such as Thermalite blocks, London Brick, Ecostock, Cradley, Formpave and Jetfloor.
Their product range comprises of clay bricks, Thermalite blocks, aggregate blocks, Red Bank chimney, roofing and flue systems, precast concrete and flooring products and Formpave permeable paving.
Forterra represents exactly what they do and have always done. Their purpose is to manufacture products that are the essential to the nation’s construction sector, helping our customers build with ease and confidence. Moreover, they continue to lead their industry in terms of standards and safety.
The Role includes but is not limited to:
- Ensuring the efficient and safe working of the plant by utilising the skills taught during your training
- Carrying out preventative maintenance daily and installation of new equipment as required
- Responding to and acting upon the fault report system
The first year of your apprenticeship will be in Aston, Birmingham on a half board, fully funded residential basis, unless you wish to travel home each night. You will travel to Birmingham on a Sunday evening to check into the hotel, and you will return home at 12:30pm each Friday.
This is a fantastic opportunity, with yearly salary increases, to work towards becoming a fully skilled tradesperson, able to work to the highest standard of safety and skill achievable.
- Fully trained Maintenance Engineer with potential to be supported to complete HNC/Foundation Degree
- Salary will be reviewed throughout apprenticeship
- Shift work may be required on completion of the apprenticeship
- The first year of the apprenticeship includes residential training in Birmingham.
- The residential option will involve staying in a hotel, with access to their facilities from Sunday evening to Friday morning, that is organised and funded by Make UK and Forterra. Rest assured, we have a 24-hour emergency line, and we work in partnership with the hotel to ensure upmost safeguarding and security for all our students
- Problem Solving
- Good Time Management
- Able to work individual or as part of a team
- Team player
- Punctual and conscientious
- Good attention to detail
- 3 GCSEs at 9 -4 / A* - C (5 or above preferred), must include maths, English language, and ideally Science, or equivalent related qualification
Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard:
Together with invaluable commercial and practical experience, you’ll gain several academic and vocational qualifications throughout your time with us and Make UK, which are fully paid for, including:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence)
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)