Responsible to: Works Supervisor/Mentor.
Main Purpose of Job:
With close mentoring support, the successful applicants will be challenged to learn the process of welding and fabricating Aluminium tipper bodies, learn to read and understand engineering drawings and build tippers from drawings and press kits.
The successful applicants will enrol onto an Advanced EAL Level 3 Extended Engineering Apprenticeship Programme in Fabrication and Welding at Peterborough Regional College.
Duties would typically include:
- To learn the process of cutting and pressing body kits
- Understanding and learning the process of machining sub-assembly parts
- Understand and learning the process of working with power/pneumatic tools
- Learning the process of working safely with plant, equipment, power tools and welding plant
- Learning the process of handling materials safely
- Learning to interpret and understand drawings
- Learning the process of welding steel and aluminium, MIG and TIG
- Learning the process of fabricating tipper bodies of bodies of various configuration from start to finish
- Complete an Advanced Level 3 apprenticeship in Fabrication & Welding by agreed deadline set by the Company and College
- To improve in the skill of Body Builder and Body Fitter, learn to work to the Company’s policy and procedures, learn to work to a very high-quality standard
- The company promotes good Health & Safety practices: it is every employee’s responsibility to work in line with Health & Safety rules and policies
- The job holder may from time to time have to carry out duties which are not directly within his/ her job description, as requested by the management. Part of the duties is to cover for other areas of production during absenteeism and holiday periods
An excellent opportunity exists to be a fully qualified Aluminium Body Building Technician. At the end of the Apprenticeship there is a strong likelihood role will become permanent for the candidates, across 1 of our varied production departments. The company have retained every Apprentice on completion of training with a permanent job over the many years of trading.
This Aluminium Body Building/Welding and Fabrication Apprenticeship position will provide job satisfaction and also a great foundation to start a career with WILCOX. The job role will be physically challenging and long periods of standing within the workshop. Plenty of personal energy and a willingness to learn is the key to this position. The employer is looking to find a candidate that has enthusiasm and genuine interest in the job.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- A willingness to learn and has an interest in Welding and Fabricating as a career
- Effective communication skills
- A good level of physical fitness
- Positive attitude with a sense of humour
- A team player and keen to develop skills
- Ability to achieve high standards of accuracy
- Safety awareness
- Enjoys problem solving - manual and technical skills
- Good presentation and time keeping skills
- Good standard of personal appearance
- Enjoys meeting people and working as a team player
- Is trustworthy and honest
- A willingness to learn
- Punctual and reliable
A minimum of 3 GCSE’s will be required, to include maths, English and Science - minimum grade C/4, equivalent or above.
- Level 2 Fabrication & Welding Apprenticeship
- EAL Level 2 NVQ Extended Diploma in Fabrication & Welding
- ABC Level 2 Diploma in Fabrication and Welding
- Functional Skills in English, maths and ICT at Level 1
- Employment Right & Responsibilities
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills