You will work with steel, stainless steel and aluminium, constructing minor and major ship structures such as the hull, shell, deck, bulkheads, seats, frames and girders. You’ll be trained in outfitting steel work components, including the installation of doors, auxiliary seating, ladders, hatches and platforms. You will learn to tack weld using different welding processes and will be trained to use thermal cutting equipment, power tools and metal working machinery.
You will manufacture a wide range of components required for the upkeep and repair of internal and external areas of naval vessels. These areas will range from all parts of the vessels structure to engine rooms and kitchen/galleys.
- We hope to offer full employment on completion of the apprenticeship to the successful candidates
- Successful candidates will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements and may be required to complete a medical assessment
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate clear potential to continuously grow and develop their skills, and who can match this with the drive and dedication needed to become a success in the beginning stages of their career. We want to meet with people who can demonstrate a strong aptitude for and interest in technical-based subject matter.
Other specific areas of competency we require you to demonstrate are as follows:
- Qualified to the standard specified above depending on your chosen apprenticeship
- Robust work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for personal, academic and vocational development
- Safety conscious and show high levels of reliability, punctuality and dependability
- Ability to work effectively as a part of a team and build strong relationships with co-workers
To apply you will need the following qualifications:
- Minimum either achieved or predicted GCSE Grade C or 4 in English, maths and Science *or equivalent
Engineering Technician level 3.
All training to be provided by City College Plymouth in collaboration with the company themselves throughout the duration of the apprenticeship.