When the yard owner is away, the horse will be worked to an agreed plan.
This will include:
- Lunging - using reins, chambon, rubber neck stretcher and pessoa
- Parelli type work
- Long reining
- Working with trotting poles
- Hacking for relaxation and fitting
Extra responsibilities will include:
- Preparing horses for competitions
- Cleaning the lorry living area and horse area
- Keeping grooming kit clean and organised
- Organising rugs; checking they are correctly fitted and are clean and mended
- Cleaning outside toilet and topping up toilet roll
- Attending training clinics and competitions which may be outside working hours and involve staying away
- Levelling the school
- Keeping the straw and haylage area tidy
- Liaising with the vet and farrier
- Liaising with the horse physiotherapist and chiropractor and following exercise and massage plans
Possibility of a Level 3 Senior Equine Groom apprenticeship upon completion of the Level 2.
Accommodation will be available and able to take your own horse.
- Experience with horses is preferable
- Good timekeeping skills
- Enthusiastic and hardworking
- Confident handling and riding horses
- Willing to work outside in all weathers
No formal qualifications required but ability to complete L1/L2 Functional skills.
Level 2 Equine Groom apprenticeship standard.