What will the apprentice be doing?
Your first year will be based at our training provider Make UK completing a range of modules across disciplines such as assembly, mechanical and electrical/electronics engineering. Outside of term time you will return to the KB HQ facility in Melksham.
Year 2 onwards will be based primarily at our Melksham site and will include:
- General assembly of products to the required specification
- Testing of products to the appropriate testing standards
- Reviewing and interpeting engineering drawings
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time at Make UK in Aston, Birmingham.
- NVQ level 3 in Engineering
- A Technical Certificate: BTEC Diploma or City & Guilds Level 3 in Engineering
- Ongoing internal company training
- Functional Skills at Level 2 in English, Maths and ICT (if required)
- Outward Bound – team working skills – 1 week away from home and work
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Hard working, dedicated individuals will have the chance to continue studying their HNC/HND (foundation degree level) qualification.
Depending on the modules completed at Make UK, apprentices will be able to work with their mentor to identify the most appropriate career path for them within Knorr-Bremse.
Reality CheckDuring the first year of your apprenticeship you will be based at our training provider Make UK in Birmingham. This will be residential based with accommodation, food and travel expenses covered by Knorr-Bremse.
Skills RequiredAttention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Leadership, Technically Minded
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade C/4 or above) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4 or above) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Science (Grade C/4 or above) Desired