You also assist the testing team ensuring that products meet the standards required, eventually being able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of the work you undertake. As an engineering design apprentice this programme forms part of your companies succession planning for the future. The company will support your personal and professional development. You will be trained, supported and monitored throughout the process.
If you have great attention to detail, enjoy working to schedules and resolving problems this is the role for you. You will be learning to produce a range of technical information including CAD drawings, calculations, quality plans, engineering schedules and bills of materials to facilitate orders. Creating accurate data is important in this role.
- Learn how to design and validate products to customer requirements, relevant design standards and codes
- Become competent using software to undertake calculations and create quality plans
- Learn how to create engineering schedules and bills of materials
- As a design engineer apprentice, you will become competent monitoring deviations from customer and contract requirements and report them in the appropriate way
- Learn how to provide technical support for other internal and external functions (manufacturing, supply chain, applications, sales and customers)
- As a design engineer apprentice you will become competent providing engineering solutions to internal non-conformances (rejects), customer issues (PORs) and change requests within agreed timescales
- Learn how to implement and support continuous improvement actions/projects and best practice replication throughout the company
- As a design engineer apprentice you will become competent in monitoring processes using root cause analysis and problem-solving tools to effectively resolve issues
- Learn how to identify cost effective interventions to solve problems
- As a design engineer apprentice you will become competent contributing to a range of projects and work collaboratively with the engineering team
- There is potential to be offered a full-time role on completion of the apprenticeship
Please note that the salary is for the first year of the apprenticeship.
- Auto-enrolled into the company pension scheme after qualification period
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (4 days to be taken at Christmas)
- Free parking on site
- Onsite restroom with kitchen facilities
- Overtime available
- Your motivation, drive and focus are the assets that will be best appreciated.
- You will possess good communication skills with the ability to communicate with peers and management
- You will need to be open minded and willing to develop your knowledge and skills to support your future development
- Have good numerical, logical, organisational and analytical skills
- You will be IT literate
- You will be objective, using factual information and data to make decisions
- You will be organised and work in a tidy, professional manner
- Have an excellent attention to detail
- Your logical approach to problem solving will enable you to perform to make a good contribution to all aspects of the job
- You will possess good interpersonal and written writing skills
- 5 GCSE's at grade C/4 or above (or equivalents) to include maths and English are essential
Throughout the duration of the design apprenticeship you will be required to attend PETA’s Havant training centre for off-the-job training. This will start as 18 months of day release when you will complete your foundation skills training.
- Complying with statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements
- Working efficiently and effectively in an engineering environment
- Using and communicating technical information
- Producing CAD models (drawings) using a CAD system
- Conducting business improvement activities
- General machining, fitting and assembly applications
- Maintaining mechanical devices and equipment
- Maintaining electrical equipment/systems
- Assembling and testing electronic circuits
- General welding applications
You will then pass through the foundation Gateway to complete your skills development training in years 2 - 4 with your employer. Your Level 3 development programme will include:
- Level 3 Advanced Engineering (Development Competence) delivered in the workplace by your PETA Job Coach, and day release for 24 months to complete a Level 3 Btec technical certificate.
All apprentices will be required to achieve as a minimum:
- An employer approved Level 2 Foundation Competence qualification
- An employer approved Level 3 Development Competence qualification
- An employer approved Level 3 Development Technical Knowledge qualification
- Apprentices without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to taking end point assessment