Our Engineering Technician Apprenticeship is a 4-year programme, which can lead onto one of the following 5 areas of technical expertise:
Manufacturing/Engineering Support Technician – this role provides technical support & expertise for all areas of the Manufacturing & Engineering functions. Examples include:
- Analysis tools & measurement
- Process control, performance & continuous improvement solutions
- Capacity planning, production scheduling/planning
- Product development & innovation, quality control & inspection
Metrology Technician – this role involves checking aircraft parts to ensure they are delivered correctly & to the highest standard. This role will develop skills/knowledge including:
- Co-ordination of measuring machines
- Laser trackers and scanners
Quality Engineer Technician - This role provides experience in all aspects of aircraft design & manufacture, working with all levels of the organisation. This role will develop skills/knowledge including:
- Quality planning
- Use of quality tools & techniques
- Developing our Quality Management System
- Dealing with customers on quality matters & industry regulators (e.g.- Civil Aviation Authority)
- Working with suppliers to ensure quality requirements are met
Tooling Engineer Technician - Tool Engineers use their skills to design, modify or repair tooling that will be used to produce aircraft parts. This role will develop skills /knowledge including:
- Understanding regulatory/ customer requirements
- Understanding of tool design & manufacture
- Composite & metallic material knowledge
- Manufacturing engineering processes
- CATIA based CAD design
- To observe the company’s terms and conditions of employment.
- In both work and training, to be diligent and punctual and attend courses, keep records and take tests to be determined by the company in order to achieve the training objectives and quality gates
- To behave in a responsible manner and in accordance with the requirements of Health & Safety legislation relating to the individual’s responsibilities.
- To promote the company’s name and image with respect and diplomacy.
- To successfully complete all activities documented in the Engineering Technician Apprentice Training Agreement
This Apprenticeship will be the perfect platform for a career in engineering.
GKN's recruitment team are handling initial applications via their own website. If you are shortlisted to move to the next stage, your contact details will be shared with the Apprenticeship team at Weston College who are managing the next stage of the process so they will contact you by phone and/ or e mail with details of the next assessment stage.
- Accuracy and attention to detail essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work in a team
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple and changing priorities
- Self-motivation and ability to organise own workload working within a team
- Drive and initiative
- A genuine interest and aptitude for engineering
You must have at least five GCSE’s or equivalent
maths, Grade 9 - 6
English, Grade 9 – 4
Science, Grade 9 – 4
Plus two additional GCSEs, Grades 9 - 4
Year 1: The majority of your first year will be working offsite at college. Towards the end of the first year, you will undertake a return to site induction, followed by onsite GKN training.
Year 2: You will commence Business Familiarisation rotation placements within the business. During this and subsequent years, the work that you carry out within your placement areas will be recorded in the form of work pack entries. These work packs are reviewed monthly with your GKN training advisor. You will also commence your Level 3 Competency qualification and complete your Level 3 Technical Knowledge Qualification.
Year 3: You will continue Business Familiarisation rotation placements within the business. You may also progress onto the First year of your Level 4 Technical Certificate (The decision for progression onto the Level 4 Technical Certificate will be based on a result of a review of your performance and business requirements). You will also continue your level 3 competency qualification
Year 4: You will continue and complete your Level 4 Technical Certificate and continue training in your final target department where you will also complete your Level 3 Competence Qualification, as well as the completion of your End Point Assessment (EPA).