This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and capable person to join our friendly and skilled team of technicians.
This is a four year apprenticeship resulting in a Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering. The first year will be spent at Midland Group Training Services (MGTS) in Redditch, Worcestershire learning core practical and theoretical elements of the role. For the subsequent years, the apprentice will attend MGTS on a day release basis to complete the necessary educational requirements of the programme.
Skills you’ll develop will include:
- Producing components using moulding and machining techniques
- Assembly of optical analysing instruments
- Accurate and precise approach to production
- Machining using: Lathe/Mill/ Drill/Grinder/Linishers/and polisher
- Small low voltage electrical loom assembly
Apprentice will spend time in all departments to gain extensive knowledge of the business and varying skills combining classic engineering techniques with skilful machining of precise components using a variety of resources. Our unique products are wholly assembled on site allowing completeness of processes from raw materials to end product.
Responsibilities and duties may include:
- Assembly, repair, refurbishment and maintenance of new and existing instruments
- Assembly of bespoke instruments
- Electronic, electrical and mechanical assembly of instruments
- Instrument fault finding
- Moulding/demoulding of component parts
- Laminar Flow cabinet and Microscope work
- Machining using: Lathe/Mill/Drill/ Grinder/Linishers/and polisher
Optimec Metrology aims to offer permanent roles to the successful apprentice at the end of their training agreement wherever possible and to supporting continuing professional development.
The applicant must be able to travel between MGTS Redditch and our site in Malvern.
- Good understanding of Maths & Science
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate
- Able to work to targets and deadlines
- Good organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Good time management skills
- Have a positive approach to work and a commitment to studying
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Enthusiastic and open to new challenges
- Team player
We are seeking applications from candidates who have or are predicted to gain 5 x GCSEs (or equivalent). Grades must be A*-C/9-5 for maths and A*-C/9-4 for English, Science and two other subjects.
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
- Level 2 Award for Foundation Phase Gateway Assessment
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence)