Looking for a great start to your career in technology, earning and learning on a professionally accredited, award-winning scheme? We are looking to recruit the experts of the future on our nationally recognised, award-winning Apprenticeship Programme.
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between the Company’s UK sites to meet with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
How this role fits in:
We are looking for talented, enthusiastic people who have a passion for Science & Engineering to join our Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme. We want you to help us by joining our highly skilled teams, work alongside some of the most talented people in the UK, and help us design our world leading self-protection systems installed on fast jet, UAV, land and naval platforms.
You will be given the opportunity to develop skills in a diverse span of Electronics, ranging from:
- Antenna design
- Digital hardware
Alongside this, you will also study with one of our partner Universities towards achievement of BSc (Hons) or BEng (Hons) degree in an appropriate engineering discipline through a mixture of work based learning, distance learning and day release at University. On completion you should have met the requirements for Incorporated Engineer as part of the way to gaining Chartered Engineer status.
Who would suit this role?
Leonardo values people that look to always develop throughout their career and along with an eager willingness to learn, a successful apprenticeship with Leonardo involves a drive to deliver results, sometimes from your own initiative, a patience for problem solving, as well as a need to comply with safety instructions and clear process compliance at all times. We view commitment to the programme and learning objectives very highly.
Note: This Apprenticeship assumes the candidate has little professional engineering experience and is NOT suitable for candidates who already have an engineering degree.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- You will get the opportunity to develop lifelong skills with the support of world class experts in their field
- You will learn a wide range of skills ranging from how to design Microwave/RF systems to beyond 20GHz, model cutting edge antenna designs
- Develop digital design skills on mixed signal Digital and RF designs
- All towards executing high performance signal processing, communications and control for our products
- You will learn how to assess your work in our well-equipped laboratories in order to help develop robust designs that will function reliably in harsh environments to enable decades of use
- You will work closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems
- You will be required to share your time between the workplace and university as part of your job
- We will encourage you to apply your developing academic skills to solve problems, generate ideas and be a part of the development of the next generation of products
- To succeed in this great opportunity you will consistently show commitment to the successful completion of all your academic work in support of the Apprenticeship standard
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business.
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay - these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue please select App degree STEM.
- Ability to achieve high performance
- Develop customer focus
- Demonstrate self-awareness and confidence
- Want continuous improvement
- Able to work together
- 3 x A levels (Grade A-C) (or equivalent)
- Mandatory: Mathematics and either Physics or a Technology/Engineering subject
- Preferred: another STEM subject
- 5 GCSE grades 9 - 4 or grades A*- C or equivalent,
- Mandatory: English Language, maths and a Science subject Plus 2 subjects
Note: If the applicant has no ‘A levels’ but has achieved a BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering we will accept the application, with the caveat around attending the maths bridging course based on existing mathematics qualifications. The maths taught in this course does not carry any credit towards your degree. Each application will be considered individually in consultation with our partnering university.
Degree Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development Engineer Standard.
Leonardo prides itself on recruiting the very best. Our companies run flourishing graduate and apprentice schemes for some 400 people nationwide.
We actively participate with other educational and engineering partners to help shape and develop the training and qualifications we offer to ensure that our future apprenticeship schemes continue to meet the expectation of our applicants and to match local and national standards.
Boasting a current retention rate that has seen 95% of apprentices stay with our companies at the end of their schemes, Leonardo understands that the future of its high-tech business rests in the next generation of engineers.
BSc (Hons) or BEng (Hons) degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.