Electrical Installation (Electro technical) Advanced Apprenticeship (Buildings & Structures) - Advanced (Level 3)
WT Parker Ltd
The electrical contracting industry is part of the construction industry and therefore electricians are generally responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical services, both inside and outside buildings and structures such as hospitals, schools, factories, government properties, solar PV and Bio Mass Installations etc.
In recent years we have seen the introduction of new and more sophisticated equipment and systems into our commercial and industrial buildings. Known often as Building Services Engineering (BSE), this can include the provision of all the electricity, gas, water and ventilation services within a building and it can be seen to broaden the skills and responsibilities required of an electrician. Irrespective of the phrase used, the electrician's job will vary and depend upon the type and range of work that the employing company carries out.
However, all electricians will have a broad range of similar technical knowledge and practical skills to enable them to carry out their work safely and correctly.
Some of the things that an electrician will be expected to do are:
- Install, maintain and repair electrical services (e.g. lighting, sockets, fire alarms, emergency lighting & heating controls)
- Work indoors and outdoors and be prepared to sometimes work at height
- Work with little or no supervision; relying on their own initiative
- Be prepared to travel away from home
- Develop good working relationships with people
- Read both building and engineering drawings
- Understand wiring and circuit diagrams
- Select (within limits) materials and equipment
- Inspect and test electrical installations
- Diagnose and rectify faults on a range of circuits and equipment
- Write reports
As you can see, the job of the electrician is varied and interesting and can offer a challenging career. Consequently, the training programme that you will be following as a JTL apprentice has been designed to help you by meeting and delivering training to these standards and expectations.
The advertised Apprentice wage will increase yearly or upon completion of progressive stages. After initially qualifying, you could go on to supervisory roles, senior management positions or even running your own business.
- You must ensure you load an up-to-date copy of your CV to your JTL profile in addition to following the application instructions to complete your application for this vacancy.
- If you are statemented as dyslexic or have any other official statement of additional learning needs and require additional support at the JTL Assessment, please contact our Customer Service Team immediately on 01978 665401.
- You will also need to provide proof of Colour Vision, please download the JTL Colour Vision Certificate http://www.jtltraining.com and take to your local optician and ask them to carry out the test and complete the form for you. Please then send into the address on the form before the closing date.
- Good practical skills to work with hand and power tools
- The ability to follow technical drawings and instructions
- A methodical approach to work
- An ability to pay close attention to detail
- A commitment to keep up to date with industry developments
- The ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work at height
- Normal colour vision
- A thorough understanding of safety rules and regulations
- Willingness to learn
- Good practical aptitude
- Capable of meeting the physical demands of the work
All candidates must complete the JTL Entry Assessment.
- NVQ Diploma at Level 3
- Functional Skills at Level 2
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills
- Any industry specific requirement
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.