Wootton Vale are looking for a Doctors Surgery Receptionist Apprentice. The successful candidate will have excellent customer service and people skills and will be responsible for directing and advising patients and visitors appropriately. You will also perform the administrative duties that are required behind the scenes at a busy GP Practice.
The successful candidate will carry out Administration and Reception duties:
• Assisting with a wide range of administrative and clerical support including word processing and filing
• Sorting and distributing incoming mail and dealing with outgoing mail
• Retrieving/filing hospital letters, notes and paperwork for surgeries and update as necessary
• Entering repeat prescriptions onto the clinical system
• Fax and photocopy as requested
• To have a thorough knowledge of all practice procedures
• To work in accordance with written protocols
• Greeting patients and visitors when they arrive, in a professional, friendly and confidential manner
• Answering queries both face to face and over the telephone
• Taking details and directing visitors to the correct member of staff that they have come to see
• Providing information, both verbal and printed material, upon request to visitors or members of staff
• Keeping the reception area tidy and well organised
• Operating the TV and patient check in systems in the waiting room
• Receiving/checking incoming deliveries, stock and post, and delivering as appropriate
• Handing completed repeat prescriptions to patient and checking names and addresses
• Be able to cover all reception positions as necessary
• Organising appointments and/or taking bookings
• Process appointment requests from patients by telephone and in person
• Deal with home visit requests
• Registrations of new patients computer data entry and medical records
• Process repeat prescription requests in accordance with practice guidelines
• To correctly record data in patients computerised medical records within strict guidelines
• Taking messages and passing on information as appropriate
• Calling patients to give test results, reviews/vaccinations/follow-up appointments etc
• Liaise with all outside organisations, on behalf of the clinical team in a helpful and friendly manner
• Opening up/locking-up of practice premises and maintaining security in accordance with Practice protocols
• Clear/re-stocking rooms as appropriate
• Keeping the kitchen area and staff room clean and tidy
• Ordering and monitoring of stationery and other surgery supplies
• To provide holiday and sickness cover for colleagues where necessary
The successful candidate will enjoy assisting the public, thriving on variety and change working in a challenging, fast-paced environment as the practice grows and evolves. In return we offer opportunities for personal career growth and development.
The successful candidate will be placed on a rota system of early and late shifts.
Candidates must carry out an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage.
Only candidates who have fully completed the application will be considered. Please be aware that the closing date is subject to change without prior notice.
- IT literate and experience of Microsoft packages is desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Team worker
- Self motivated
- Non-judgemental attitude
To be considered for this role you will need GCSE's (or equivalent) at grades 9-3 (A*-D) including maths and English.
You will gain the following qualifications:
- Business Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required).
You will also study a range of topics, including: IT, record and document production, decision making, planning and organisation, project management, policies, relevant regulations, stakeholders, processes and external environment factors.