What will the apprentice be doing?
- With support and guidance, designing, developing and delivering technical solutions to meet business requirements for enterprise and business software applications, data migration, data warehousing, business intelligence and interfaces
- Assist with inputting into the Digital and IT estimating process where changes, enhancements, customisation and development work is required as part of a Project or Work Stream
- With support and guidance, apply appropriate recovery techniques to ensure software solutions are not lost
- With support, identify and select the most appropriate technical solution for a given problem, whilst considering coding best practice and quality standards
- Assist in communicating software development solutions to a range of internal or external stakeholders
- With support, consider the security implications of a proposed application’s design and apply security best practice to the software solution throughout the software development life cycle
With support and guidance, defining, developing, testing and supporting:
- Bespoke Microsoft .Net applications
- Interfaces and integrations between different business applications
- Data migration scripts
- Data extracts
- Data archiving and retrieval solutions
- Business intelligence solutions
- Data Warehouse solutions
- SharePoint solutions
- Databases required for solutions being developed and assist in optimising their performance
- XML Schemas and XML Documents
- Technical configuration and customisation of line of business applications
- Content Management Systems
- Web Services
- Implementation Planning
- Data Migration Plans
- Testing Plans
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The successful apprentice will receive on the job training and will complete a Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship Standard https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/software-developer-v1-1. Working alongside experienced staff you will build up knowledge of and develop many transferable skills.
Please note: if you already have previous qualifications in a similar qualification, please contact the Organisational Development Team on the email below to check you are eligible to apply.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Successful applicants will gain knowledge and experience that could allow them to progress to other roles within the council.
Reality CheckPlease note, candidates must hold the below; • 7 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 9-4 or A-C including Maths and English One or more of the below: • Completed a Level 3 Software Development Apprenticeship or have an equivalent qualification with another training provider • An A-Level in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics • A BTEC diploma in IT and/or 2 years’ experience in a relevant role
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Patience, Self motivated, Personal drive
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Essential